Tags:   

Peter Stokkebye PS 400 Luxury Navy Flake

(18 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by mtwaller
  • Latest reply from didimauw
  1. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I just received 2 oz in the mail today, and since I’ve never contributed a review on here I thought I’d start with this one while it’s fresh on the brain. This is only my second VaPer blend, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you’re a new pipe smoker (like me) or haven’t tried many VaPer’s, I certainly recommend giving this one a sample. You can get 2 oz for about $5 which is crazy affordable.

The flakes themselves are very nice looking and uniform, and they came at the perfect moisture content to smoke right out of the bag for me. I’ve heard different retailers might have stock that’s drier or wetter depending on how they’re stored, so mileage may vary on this one. I got mine from smokingpipes.com. Aroma is grassy and fresh, a little sweet, and a bit tart. The aroma won’t knock you out but it smells typically Virginia-y, I guess? I only smoke outside so I can’t really comment on a room note, my smoke blows away rapidly.

I rubbed out one flake and did a firm gravity/three pinch type of pack, and it burned quite well. It stays lit for quite a while with few relights, and it never burned hot for me. I will say that I’ve been making a conscious effort to do light breath smoking pulls lately, so if you like to draw vigorously it might be a different story. I haven’t done a fold and stuff, but the way these flakes are constructed leads me to believe it would work fantastically well for that.

The flavor is what really surprised me in a good way. The first quarter of the bowl was Virginia-forward, very clean and grassy with some light sweetness. After that the Perique came into play and the middle of the bowl was pretty zingy with Perique, little to no sweetness present. I let it rest and scraped the ash, then fired up the last half. Here the tobaccos started to really interplay with nice plum sweetness entering the mix, and I got some bitterness that wasn’t unpleasant. The melding of flavors sort of reminded me of a good session IPA, and remained balanced all the way through the last half of the smoke.

For $5 I wasn’t expecting much, I thought the flavors would be flat and uninspiring. But I’m happy to say I was wrong! This blend won’t awe you with complexity, but it’s a very solid smoke that seems like it will age well. It’s clean and refreshing, a good early in the day or all day type of smoke. If you want to try VaPer’s or just haven’t tried this particular one, you can’t go wrong at this price! I will definitely buy a few ounces here and there to stock up, this is a tasty and affordable VaPer for the cellar.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

LNF, LBF, and LTF, are blends I buy in five pound lots. Very good no nonsense smokes. Great review!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Embers! I also got some Bullseye, never tried it, but I think I’ll live with this one for a week or so before I try it. Looking forward to it, though. It definitely smells quite a bit sweeter than this Luxury Navy Flake.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

PS LBF is rapidly becoming a nightly encounter for me.

Your description doth hit the nail on the head. So to speak.

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

What embers said. Though I'm more into the lat blends, LBF and LNF are two of my favorite Va blends.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review, appreciate it. So it’s a Navy without the rum flavour?

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review, appreciate it. So it’s a Navy without the rum flavour?

A lot of Navy blends don't have rum. It's named as such for the way it's prepared.

Navy Cut

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my all time favorite smokes is to layer a LTF and LNF and twist them together, then just load it directly into your pipe. The casings really compliment each other very well. And, it transforms the coconut of the LTF and the carameled sugars of the LNF, and gives it the aroma that always reminds me of buying new cowboy boots in a Western wear store... Like boxes of brand new leather goods all stacked up and emitting a sweet goodness into the air.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Thanks Embers, I avoid booze.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't just discard LNF as not having a rum flavor. It smells to exactly like what a Virginia with a light casing of dark spiced rum would smell like. It has a darkened caramel sweetness with hints of spices in the casing. When tobacco gets cased with an alcohol, the alcohol-ness to the casing dissipates, and leaves behind the cologne of the alcohol.
    Check out Haddos Delight, Virginia Cream, or even Bagpipers Dream. None of those smell like alcohol, but are only cased with it. Bagpipers Dream is cased with Cognac, and it smells more like a men's cologne than any alcohol.

For that matter, we know LTF is cased with coconut, but the flavor is transformed by the tobacco into that new flavor.

When the flavors meld with the tobacco it is transformed into something new.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trudger, I avoid it also, but in my tobacco, it's ok. I can smoke as much of it as I want, and I won't get pulled over.

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Thanks Embers, I avoid booze.

I try to, but Sir Henry Morgan keeps finding me.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just had a bowl of this last night. Yes once and a while I smoke something else.

I'm trying really hard to like this blend. I believe it gets better with every attempt. Maybe because it's got over 4 years of age now.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 5 months ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I just had a bowl of this last night. Yes once and a while I smoke something else.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didi, when you train your tastes to McDonalds, Prime Rib will take some getting used to.
    Well, if you think of Carter Hall as fast food, or maybe it is more like Hostess Twinkies?

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Cosmic Imagine a picture of me....but single fingered.

Haha jk

My mouth, she is a sissy to the fancy blends....I think I just smoke to fast. I like smoking fast, idk why.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Well, Dunhill and McClelland are off the table and McDonald's is still around.....just sayin'.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's Right Embers. Something to say about longevity eh?....

And I'd take a double cheeseburger from McDonald's over bone in ribs any day. If there's food that takes effort, I won't even touch it. Fat, bones, skin, nope.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob, morgansteele