Tags:  No tags yet. 

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake...awesome

(36 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by exterminatewho
  • Latest reply from jvnshr
  1. exterminatewho

exterminatewho

Login to Send PM

Hello guys,I'm a newer pipe smoker and I took the advice of folks here that said to buy little sampler bags of tobacco. I bought at least 10 different tobaccos on smokingpipes.com. To name just a few, Proper english, dark english full, 1Q, BCA and a few more.

But, my favorit has to be the Luxury Bullseye Flake. Oh my god does it smoke great. I'm not an expert or even a veteran smoker, but the mix of black cavendish with the VaPer blend is amazing. You get this subtle sweetness as well as a pretty full flavored tobacco taste. If you guys haven't tried it, you need to (if you like VaPers and a decent amount of sweetness in your smoke). Just wanted to give ya'll my .02.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a much beloved tobacco and highly regarded by all. It always falls into the top ten of all va/per lovers. At the price you can't beat it.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just wait until you try some with 2 to 3 years of age on it. It's great.

For some reason I love Luxury Twist Flake even more!

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

exterminate, Luxury Bullseye and Luxury Twist are both great. Glad you like them. There's a reason why I have jars and jars full of them. They only get better with age.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I love the stuff with a few years of aging on it. Don't like it at all fresh.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I'm having a reaction to LBF. My throat gets sore every time I smoke it. I'm depressed because I have a pound of it stored in mason jars. I love the taste so I guess it will get stored until my condition changes. I believe it's the perique because other blends with perique that I smoke have the same effect on me. Maybe I'll revisit it in 2 or 3 years. I hear that perique gets milder as time goes by. At least I hope so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just wait until you try some with 2 to 3 years of age on it. It's great.
    That...is an understatement!!!...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a pound a month ago, good stuff. I jarred it up, and I'm being patient.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I think I'm having a reaction to LBF. My throat gets sore every time I smoke it. I'm depressed because I have a pound of it stored in mason jars. I love the taste so I guess it will get stored until my condition changes. I believe it's the perique because other blends with perique that I smoke have the same effect on me. Maybe I'll revisit it in 2 or 3 years. I hear that perique gets milder as time goes by. At least I hope so.

The Perique does get milder and fruitier with age. The Virginias develop a deeper richer flavor. This is one of the few blends that, IMHO, really significantly improves with about 4 years of aging.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. calabashed

calabashed

Login to Send PM

Luxury Bullseye and Twist are both great, if you like stuff along this vein give this a try sometime.

http://dein-tabak.de/product_info.php?info=p704_16-5-der-neue---200gr-.html

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. exterminatewho

exterminatewho

Login to Send PM

I think I'm going to have to buy at least a pound. Save 10 oz or so and smoke the rest. I can't go years without this stuff.

Also just wanted to say this community is great. Loving the welcoming nature of the folks here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. exterminatewho

exterminatewho

Login to Send PM

How is Cask no. 7 by Comoy? I was looking for similar types of tobacco to the bullseye flake, and this seems like it's pretty similar (both in look and blend). Has anyone tried this?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Comoy/Cask-No.7/product_id/133798/bulk/

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the PS line, I've enjoyed Proper English, Luxury Navy Flake, and Bullseye.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I came here to say few words about both LBF and LTF, well nothing left to say.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't "need" to age things a full year to get some of the effect. If I were just starting I'd buy 2 years worth and keep the first year's tobacco in three or four different jars. Wait at least two months before opening the first jar, and you'll only progress to older jars from there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

Are there any blends similar to LBF that come tinned out of curiosity?

Now, I've noticed a tendency for this forum to get rather silly.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toob When P&C had their sale I bought a 24oz box of each and jarred it up. I think I paid $45 per 1.5lb box. Next time they have a sale I'll be buying a few more pounds.

Misterrogers I believe Comoy's Cask no7 and Dobies 4 Square Circles are the same exact thing just tinned. Although I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay a premium for it being tinned. That's what mason jars are for. Just my 2 cents.
    The Dobies is currently much more expensive at $10.99 for 1.75 ounces which breaks down to $6.28 per ounce.
    The Cask no7 is much more affordable $12.51 for 3.5 ounces which is $3.57 per ounce. You can get that price down a little more if you buy 5 tins. Also they sell Cask no7 in bulk but I'm not sure that price as it's currently out of stock on Smoking Pipes.

The price of PS LBF in bulk is cheaper than the tinned alternatives. 2oz for example breaks down to $2.95 per ounce. Although the 1.5lb box I bought was $45 so that breaks down to $1.87 per ounce.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are there any blends similar to LBF that come tinned out of curiosity?

Davidoff Medallions are very similar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. duffer

duffer

Login to Send PM

I have both on order. Patiently awaiting arrival.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

one of the best values I think. I like it by itself , and I also use it blended 50/50 with aromatics I don't like by themselves ( mixes great with PS Optimum and PS Peaches), and then I usually like them after blending

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

LBF and LTF are wonderful blends that have a good home in my cellar. Enjoy...

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And don't forget Luxury Navy Flake - a top notch PS blend in its own right.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Find tobacco blends at downright considerate prices.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

I have been trying to get into VAPer blends myself and they just leave something to be desired for me. I'm a new smoker too, so subtle or mild blends may take some time to take root for me. This blend sounds interesting because of the black cav. Could be a perfect place to start building my VA appreciation.

“Life... is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.” -Bill Shakespeare
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phantomwolf, a few recommendations for the newcomer to Va/Per hybrid blends, in addition to LBF:

Peterson Irish Oak
    GL Pease Barbary Coast
    Peretti Park Square
    Rattray Marlin Flake
    Rattray Dark Fragrant
    Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture

I did a write up a while back on the flavor profiles of various blends with Perique (VaPers and hybrids) but I can't find it to reference....

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have both on order. Patiently awaiting arrival.

You won't regret. Or you will, because you haven't ordered more

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. exterminatewho

exterminatewho

Login to Send PM

Got some Luxury Twist Flake last week (4 oz. b/c I knew I'd like it, will buy more after I'm done for sure) and I LOVE IT. The aroma out of the pouch/bag was amazing. And the smoke...Oh my god...you gentleman have some great taste! I just put in an order for 4 oz. of luxury navy flake to try it out. High hopes for that one as well. So far, my two favorites are the LBF and LTF, have no doubt that LNF will be up there too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you really like PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake then I suggest trying the following:

PS Luxury Twist Flake
    Escudo Navy Deluxe
    Davidoff Flake Medallions

All of those are great tobacco's and similar to PS Bulls Eye Flake.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PS 306 English Oriental supreme is very good too. It also has cavendish in it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love LBF, and dont regret buying a pound of it at all!

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. exterminatewho

exterminatewho

Login to Send PM

I'm buying a pound of it the moment I run out of my stock. It's my favorite. TBH all the PS luxury flakes I've tried are great (Twist and Bullseye). Bought some navy flake 2 nights ago so I'm pretty excited. I'm going to buy a couple of pounds each and jar them up. Too good.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Just put an order in for a pound .

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

exterminatewho, welcome to these pages and many happy bowls to you while your peruse them.

As a new pipe smoker, you should know that your palate will awaken, preferences may develop, or even become seasonal (as long as these continue), and monotony is a potential.

I too tried the legendary LBE as one of my first real pipe tobaccos, and found I preferred its cousin LBF.
    The genre of Virginias and Perique is replete with many different tasting blends.

Time in the jar on these blends will subdue some of the edges and mellow the flavors.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yesterday P&C had a 20% off sale and I stocked up. Bought a pound and a half. At $1.55 an oz., how could I not? LBF is great with some age on it, so I try to jar some at least twice a year so I can stay knee deep in aged LBF. The quality and value is unmatched IMHO.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Just received a pound each of LTF and LNF. Plan to cellar it for 3 to 4 years. Great tobacco at a great price.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

One thing I learned about PS LTF is: don't dry it too much or it will become tasteless and harsh.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, anthonyrosenthal74, redglow, donjgiles, grilledokra, ashdigger, railman