Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

Peter Stokkebye #84 Turkish Bulk - A Review

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

"Peter Stokkebye Turkish Pipe Tobacco combines Turkish Samsun Oriental tobaccos grown on the Black Sea coast with ripe Virginia. The result is a mild, creamy taste with a rich tobacco core backed by a touch of pepper and sweetness. A great-smoking blend that burns exceptionally well and tastes even better."

Hmm. I was shopping CI a few days ago, putting some tried-and-true tobacco blends in my cart, and checking out other blends CI stocks. I was surprised they actually have quite a few bulk blends, at good prices too.

Well I enjoy Turkish leaf, particularly my beloved Izmir, and I saw this PS #84 -- what? $109 for five pounds? LOL, I tossed in 2 ounces into my cart. I figured if it was a bit too [insert a word meaning an unexpected, not ideal experience here], I could mix it with something. I like Turkish.

Well the CI order arrived today. The PS #84 in a baggie and it's a bit dry (not really unexpected; almost all Turkish I've smoked arrive that way). It's a ribbon/shag cut, so it would work well as a RYO too, IMO. But I bought this to smoke in a pipe, so WTH, I loaded up my old Barontini canadian, straight up with #84, for the test drive.

Well, it's not all Samsun; there's definitely some virginia in this blend, which is not at all a bad thing. This is a very good oriental. Mild, tart, a bit spicy, cool when sipped, burns evenly to a almost white ash with no dottle. I like it straight. Some may think it's too much like a cigarette and I get that, I just don't agree it's a bad thing in this blend (no, I don't inhale). I can see how #84 will also make an excellent blender, which I'll likely experiment with eventually, but it's so nice straight, that may have to wait until the next order comes in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Sounds very interesting to me. I'm going to have to check it out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny you should write this review right now.Bought a pound of it and smokin it right now.Very good on its own,mild smooth smoker...

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bought a pound of it and smokin it right now.Very good on its own,mild smooth smoker...

Yep, kind of surprised me how good it is smoked straight up -- I expected it to be much spicier; must be the virginia in the blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use this for my RYO. I've had the Stokkebye Turkish, Danish, Amsterdam and Virginia Long Cut.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I smoked a bit of this as the last smoke of the night and I gotta say, for $26 a pound, this stuff really delivers. A very good smoke at a surprising value.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 roth...

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a good discovery. I just bought a small bag of PS Nougat (as Tinder Box Northsea); a different animal, but from the same outfit.
    A nice calm aro with flavor. This PS #84 sounds worth a try. Anything that smokes well on its own and mixes too is good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. neverknowsbest

neverknowsbest

Login to Send PM

If you guys like this stuff, you may also really like Daughters & Ryan Ramback Regular (100% Izmir I think), or for a more complex Turkish offering, Ramback Balkan (Lots of different Turkish tobacco, a little Virginia, no Latakia). P.S. Turkish is in the vein of tobacco that I would call "perfection is when there is nothing left to take away" category, and I love it for that. Beautiful simplicity and consistency.

Benjamin Berkeley
    Tobacconist
    Smokers' Haven
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Benjamin, does Smokers' Haven sell D&R Ramback Balkan? I can't find it on their website.

P&C sells it in 40g cans, but it's out of stock -- and that's the only place online I can seem to find it; SPC sells D&R but not the Ramback Balkan.

BTW, I tried the D&R website and that looks like a work in progress -- complete useless.

D&R used to take phone orders and sell in bulk, but that was years ago.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

supdog

Login to Send PM

I emailed Russ at P&C a couple weeks ago about D&R Ramback Balkan, this is what his response was:

"D&R’s Ramback Balkan is no longer available due to a lack of a certain component. If they ever get access to that tobacco and begin producing it again, we’ll let everyone know."

Too bad, it sounds like something I would really like. Ramback Gold is Izmir and Virginia, but what idiot would smoke that combination? J/K Roth, I know that's a favorite of yours.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke Peter Stokkebye Turkish, Amsterdam, Virginia and Danish as RYO for Cigarettes. I'm thinking these four blends are designed more as cigarette tobaccos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If you guys like this stuff, you may also really like Daughters & Ryan Ramback Regular (100% Izmir I think), or for a more complex Turkish offering, Ramback Balkan (Lots of different Turkish tobacco, a little Virginia, no Latakia). P.S. Turkish is in the vein of tobacco that I would call "perfection is when there is nothing left to take away" category, and I love it for that. Beautiful simplicity and consistency.

Benjamin, does Smokers' Haven sell D&R Ramback Balkan? I can't find it on their website.

P&C sells it in 40g cans, but it's out of stock -- and that's the only place online I can seem to find it; SPC sells D&R but not the Ramback Balkan.

BTW, I tried the D&R website and that looks like a work in progress -- complete useless.

D&R used to take phone orders and sell in bulk, but that was years ago.

Again, Benjamin -- why doesn't Smokers' Haven stock these? I'm looking for bags of the Rambach Balkan.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sailorjeremy, ravenwolf, matchstickman