PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Hello all!
I've had the opportunity this morning to crack open a large 7 oz tin of Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake and WOW this stuff looks and smells amazing. Quite the interesting looking flake.
Here's the description:
"Aged cakes of red Virginia and fire-cured dark Kentucky tobaccos give this full-bodied, flavorful flake an unusually rich and naturally spicy taste. Not for neophytes, this one satisfies with old-fashioned deep taste. Good outdoors."​
Excited to try this out. For those that have had it, what do you think?
IMG_1412_zps55684621.jpg

IMG_1413_zps0c306055.jpg

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Never tried it, looks delicious though. The flake in that bottom image looks like a van gough.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That looks yummy Jordan. Let us know what you think of it. I would be interested to see if it is somewhat similar to ODF.

Dec 24, 2012
Have never tried it but have just over 3 lbs of it in the cellar which I bought based on reputation. Would really love to know what you think of it.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Will be firing some up in a bit on a 2 hour drive.
I wonder if Harris avoids this blend because of the reds?
But 200g for $23 when in stock at SPC seems like highway robbery!

rootling

Lurker
May 30, 2011
Its really good stuff. It has an almost orange tang like nose and the layered flake is stunning to behold. Its strong but not overpowering. I'm thinking I should have more in the cellar than I do.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I tasted black licorice in the back ground so I reordered the Golden and Curly in the for the cellar last year .The Curley is almost like Escudo only milder while the Golden is a pure Virginia .Both these blends are very mild so if you like power house Virginia blends they probably wont be your cup of tea .Grab them while you can I see the Dark Strong is gone at my favorite vendor online .

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Very impressed by the first bowl. On the spicy side and not overwhelming on the nicotine as others have noted. Interested to try in different forms/pipes. First run was cube cut in a Stanwell billiard. The flavor moves a bit on the way down due to the interesting flake presentation.
This one sure is a winner. I may be making it more difficult for myself to find by writing this, but flake finds should enjoy this one.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Wow it does look like a Van Gough, or the storms on Jupiter. Added to list. Thanks for posting.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Hmmmm. Strange I didn't pick up licorice on the first run. And I'm not a licorice fan. Also wasn't having a very relaxed smoke though as I was trying to walk 3 dogs.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks junkyard, I appreciate the review.
Maybe I should just try this because you can never have too much tobacco and Harris and Peck aren't gobbling it up yet :)

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Glad to hear people tasted the anise as well, I thought I was a little crazy as I thought it was Orlik's Dark Kentucky, but I don't remember Dark Kentucky having that flavoring (could be wrong, only had one can of it many moons ago).

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Ok on the second go I definitely get the anise you are referring to. Not overpowering enough for me not to like it. But enough to take it off the all day smoke list. This will definitely be an evening smoke for me.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
It's a full body,strong,smokey baccy I heard.

Since I do have a Peter Heinrich black briar bent billiard pipe, I will try in that.

It will be a perfect match as I do hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.