PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Awesome. It's dark, but not too strong. Great red Virginias in here.
blog-dark-strong.jpg

a_heinrich_dark_strong.jpg

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I enjoy Peter Heinrich Curly, so it sounds their Dark Strong Flake a try in the future. Thanks for the recommendation Adam... :puffy:

adam12

May 16, 2011
Look at that picture of it I found - it looks like steak. Actually it is even prettier than that in real life. When it is laid out on a tray it has a golden color. Just awesome.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
I'm pretty sure this is the same recipe as the now-discontinued Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky Flake. I remember the flakes looked almost like beef jerky and had a molasses-like sweetness while the fire-cured burley provided a nice nicotine punch. It's good stuff.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
I just rolled them up and stuck them in the pipe. It was an adventure getting it lit right but the flavors really stay tight that way. Once it's stoked it stays lit.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Rubbed makes the lighting go a little more smoother, and the tobacco is consistently very moist until you're almost done with the tin (this was my second tin and I don't think it came even close to drying out). Classic Virginia flavor without being belligerent in the room: after walking back inside from being outdoors you almost don't even feel it, it's a very classic aroma. Excellent afternoon smoke

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
A fortuitous post.... I have had my eye on this tobacco for a while and just ordered a tin from P&Cdotcom. Now you've made me all twitchy to get it... Still working my way through some Curley I've got jarred up, which itself is excellent.
One Adam 12, One Adam 12. Report of a small fire. See the man with a pipe. Bring Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake. Respond Code 3.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
+1 on the 1 Adam 12 call:
"See the woman on a man brandishing a pipe with awesome VA burning inside - Fire Department en route to scene." :)

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Ok, order arrived today from P&C.com while I was at work. Cracked the tin, dried a few flakes for 15 minutes. Bundled 'em up, stood 'em on end, and stuck them into my Ser Jacopo sandblast Canadian (actually more like a Lovat). This is a big pipe, it's a Maxima Maxima and holds a fistful of tobacco.
Verdict: a new addition to my favorites list. Will cellar a few more tins. Super red VA with a Kentucky kick... This is easily the sweetest VA I've tried, and I've tried a few. It's so sweet it's almost like a sweetened Cavendish. I get a hint of something bright and almost fruity in the background, can't quite put my finger on it. Also, not at all bitey and burns well once lit!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Rubbed makes the lighting go a little more smoother, and the tobacco is consistently very moist until you're almost done with the tin (this was my second tin and I don't think it came even close to drying out). Classic Virginia flavor without being belligerent in the room: after walking back inside from being outdoors you almost don't even feel it, it's a very classic aroma. Excellent afternoon smoke

I'm sold.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Bottom third of the bowl and the spicy Kentucky, which when in the background earlier I thought was maybe fruity, is asserting itself with spicy goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.