Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Peter Heinrichs Curly

(13 posts)
  1. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anybody try this? Am told it is a VA blend and is in the shape of small coins. Anyone like it or hate it?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have the special curly, which has perique and VA. I really like it. It's smooth, musty and nutty. Very well behaved. I believe there is also a regular curly, which only has VA's in it. I have not tried that one yet.

BTW, the special curly mixed with Christmas Cheer, Best Brown Flake and some extra perique makes a really tasty VAper. The special curly adds a touch of nuttiness to go along with the sweetness and richness of the other components.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edit - I was thinking of another blend, I don't know enough to comment about this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I should add that the special curly (and again, I'm not sure if you're interested in that one or the curly that has only VA's), has a slightly cigar-like flavor to it. Almost like a Macanudo or some other mild cigar. It's not exactly like that, of course, but it has something that makes you think of cigar smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To my tastebuds and eyes, Special Curly is what Three Nuns used to be.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have only tried the Perique version and it is indeed very good. I have two tins that are about a decade old.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, I double checked the tin I have and it just says "curly" (not "special"), but the ingredients list both perique and VA.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was wondering about that. Mine just says Curly but I can detect a small amount of perique.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a tin I got on a company trip.

Mine is coin cut and labeled special curly. I really enjoy it. Its almost got a spiced ginger taste to it at times.

Peck if you want to try and compare PM me your address and I'll send you some.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jah, appreciate the offer but I am good. I added a tin to my order to give it a whirl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

BTW, those cans, once opened suck. I definitely recommend you jar the tobacco right away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoyed this tobacco. To me it had a grassy raisin smell in the bag. Upon lighting I got that raisiny, ginger spice to it. I nice smoke all the way down to the bottom of the bowl.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Trever Talbert posted an interesting tidbit about Peter Heinrich's shop in Koln.

"Peter Heinrich's pipe shop, the "House of 10,000 Pipes", is the most amazing pipe shop I have ever set foot in. It is in Cologne, about a half hour's drive from Rheinbach, and we spent all the day Monday just wandering through Cologne seeing sights until we ended up at Peter's place and nearly vanished forever. I'm not going to do as much writing on this post because the descriptions in the Peter Heinrich's web gallery tell most of the story. Peter bought portions of surrounding buildings and now his shop extends through multiple floors and landings, and includes one room for factory pipes, one room for artisan pipes, one room for cigars, one room for exclusively Cuban cigars, and finally a Cuban-style cabana smoking room where visitors can relax with pipe and drink. It is truly an amazing place. For anyone thinking of vacationing in or near Cologne, Germany, Peter's shop is sufficient reason to plan an entire vacation around. Unfortunately, we ended up having dinner waiting for us and had to be dragged out, or I'd probably have been there till closing!"

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   longbowman, pnasmith, nurseman, brokenkrayon, philobeddoe, ericthered, newbroom, pylorns, beefeater33, billypm, dermotfahy, riffraff, pitchfork