PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I went on a trip to Cologne a few months ago and stopped in at Peter Heinrichs. An amazing place and the staff was super friendly despite my crappy German. I picked up a few tins of Dark Strong Flake along with Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake and Rattray's Old Gowrie and Bagpiper's Dream (none are available in Switzerland). Didn't pick up any pipes on this trip, but as you can see it wasn't for lack of selection (lack of funds more like it--although they had massive ranges of prices). The pipe tobacco selection was crazy--you may notice some plastic tubs in the foreground of the picture. Those are all various tobaccos--there must have been a hundred or so. And all along the walls they keep their tins. Really a cool place, and since it's only a few hours away from home, I'll definitely be going back! Highly recommended if you find yourself in Cologne. They also have a pipe museum but I didn't have a whole lot of time that day as the War Dept. was waiting on me….patiently, I might add, but waiting nonetheless. I could have spent all day in this place…
img_1369-600x450.jpg

img_1370-600x450.jpg

img_1371-600x450.jpg

img_1372-600x450.jpg

img_1373-600x450.jpg

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Definitely, Dawg--Cologne is a very cool place. The cathedral is spectacular and they have an excellent Roman museum as well. There is also a building that served as Cologne Gestapo headquarters. Today it is a museum and you can see the interrogation rooms and holding cells. Original pencil and artwork on the walls done by the prisoners is still there, as is the area where detainees were lined up and shot. Sobering, disturbing, and powerful, to be sure.
Also, a trip to the Fruh beer hall is a must. It's huge…they have street signs posted in the hall so you can find your way. It has like five floors or something. Great food and beer.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/fruh-colognes-famous-beerhall/vi-61e3d827-3b2f-4af3-8f3c-3c7ea4106ded

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Too bad you didn't pick up Heinrich own brand pipes. They are excellent pipes.

How many their own brand pipes are there? How about own brand tobaccos?

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Too bad Cologne is more than 400 kilometers away from where I live. I even once worked there (I was not a pipe smoker back then). Thank god Hamburg has it´s selection of pipe shops as well. Nevertheless Peter Heinrichs is a grand name in pipes here in Germany.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
@goldsm: I didn't have a chance to shop for pipes on this trip, so I don't know how many PH pipes made up their selection, but they did have a wide range of European brands at various prices. Since this was a TAD visit, from what I saw they stocked every brand of tobacco they make in both bulk and tinned varieties. I want to try more of Heinrich's stuff, but Old Gowrie, Bagpiper's Dream, and Scottish Cake were on my list, along with PH Dark Strong Flake--also had to consider TAD funds. A very dangerous place if your willpower is weak!!
@arno: I knew there were other PH locations in the Cologne area, but I had no idea that the shop in Bergheim was so big! I was on a time limit for pipes that weekend so I really only had the city location to consider--definitely want to visit the shop in your blog! Thanks for posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.