PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Have my first Peterson on its way, tho its not a system, I'm very interested in them. I'd like your opinions ..do you have one? Why do you like it? Or do you not really?

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
crpntr1,
I own one Peterson System pipe. It delivers an excellent smoke. And I smoke it maybe once a month. The problem is that the system is really "wet". It takes extra effort to remove the stem and to swab the chamber with a tissue. And, then I still use a pipe cleaner to do the normal cleaning. The system is just too wet for me and too much bother. I would not buy another one. One is enough. As I stated, it delivers an excellent smoke and I love the pipe. So, I smoke it now and then. I am actually more satisfied by a straight briar (no system or filter) as I rotate my pipes, keep them clean and enjoy just as good of a smoke without all that condensed moisture. You should buy one and form your own conclusion. But, one is all you may need. Others may disagree, and that is why we have this wonderful forum.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I don't have a Pete system, but I do have a Brebbia and I was looking at the system itself inside a Pete and realized it has a very similar setup. By the way it is my favorite pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 herbinedave. System or not, Peterson delivers a fine smoke. I especially am fond of the P-Lip which makes for a totally different and better IMHO experience.
While we're at it, and I don't mean to hijack:
@herbinedave: how different do "fishtail" Petes smoke than the "P-lipped" ones ? Is there a difference?

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I love and own many Petersons -- they are represented more than any other maker in my modest racks -- but I don't like system pipes and no longer own any.
No question the system "works" in that it captures all the condensate from the tobacco. But I am convinced that the system also creates a geometry in which there IS more condensate in the first place.
I almost always notice/hear/have to clean the moisture using the system pipe -- whereas I VERY rarely have a gurgle with a non-system pipe properly smoked.
JMHO, but born of some experience with these. I allow for the possibility that the problem is just the mix of ME and the system. But that's what I've found.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
OK rcstan you beat me to it, I was gonna get to p-lip vs. fishtail next...since you already did Peterson smokers which do you like better, pl or ft? And why? Theses aren't just random questions, I've heard & read enuff about Pete's to interest me, and I understand the concept behind the "system" and "p-lip". But iyho, which is better for you and why,? If pl is better with some tobacco, what kind? etc...BTW thank you for the info thusfar.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I've gradually gotten rid of most of my Pete's, all of the p-lips, and all of the sumps. On a basic level, a sump makes sense, but so does a filter (which I don't use).
I agree with tslex that the design creates condensation that wouldn't necessarily get created in say, a pipe with an uninterrupted flow from bowl to stummel to shank, which to me, is the "right" way to drill a pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@crpntr1 : I prefer the P-lip because of my smoking style ( long deep puffs ). All my Petersons ( 4 in all ) have P-lips. One is a System ( 317 , the smallest size one ). P-lip also helps when smoking bitey VA blends.
@herbinedave : thanks for the info. I'll have to pick up a fishtail Pete and see how it smokes

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't have a system pipe yet, but I do have three Petes with the p-lip and I love them. I prefer the p-lip over the fishtail. To me it seems to irritate my tongue less than the fishtails do. They can be a bit of a bugger to clean, but an extra minute of cleaning is well worth the great smoke they give.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Every Pete I have ever owned immediately gets the p-lip cut off with a dremel. Like the pipe, hate the P.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
Every Pete I have ever owned immediately gets the p-lip cut off with a dremel. Like the pipe, hate the P.
why not replace the stem with a different one, rather than file off the P-lip? I know from experience restoring pipes that it is hard, if you take off a P lip, to get a decent finish on what is left
Anyway, aside from the technical aspects relating to Petes, they have a very definite aesthetic appeal: they are well made, well finished beautiful pipes and I have yet to find one which sits awkwardly in my mouth or has a too light/too heavy feel....they are just well designed and that is why I own more Petes than any other type

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like Systems. I have three 303's (my favorite) a 317, 314 and a 301. Cleaning is not a big deal to me, maybe an extra 20 seconds to swab out the reservoir. Always a dry smoke and thats why I like them. I've even pushed them hard to try to induce a gurgle and never had it happen. I have found that during the summer months here in Ohio with high humidity the condensation builds up quickly in the reservoir. This past winter in cool dry air and smoking very slowly I've noticed the reservoir only damp at the end of the smoke.
I'm a history buff so maybe that accounts for some of the appeal of the brand with me. I love the period between about 1850-1900 and all the innovation that came about not only in America but in Europe as well. Mr Peterson came up with a great idea and all the pieces fell together just right to enable him to launch his product on a global scale.
After playing around with the modern version of the patented System (really not different at all from those of a hundred years ago)I really do believe they offer a great smoking experience like Peterson said. Better than any other pipe? That I'm not so sure of. I love my other non-Peterson pipes and have had outstanding smokes with them too. With patience and experience I've learned how to smoke all my pipes and get the most enjoyment from each of them. Things like SLOWWWWWING down and learning how to load different styles and cuts of tobacco in differnt bowls. With this line of thinking I believe the System is a very forgiving pipe that can handle many of the variables that come up and still provide a cool, enjoyable smoke. In my opinion this makes the Systems a good pipe for the newbie pipe smoker to get started with if he can afford to throw out 70 bucks or so for a new one. Of course much less for used if one wants to go that route.
I've only been smoking Pete Systems for a couple years but hope to be enjoying them for many more.
I originally posted this response to another good Pete System Thread started by herbinedave a while back:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-need-other-peoples-thoughts-on-peterson-system-pipes
I like tslex's theory on the internal geometry of the system being the cause of excessive condensation. I tend to believe that may be the case. However I also believe you can really push a System puffing away like an old steam engine and the moisture is all contained in the trap resulting in no gurgle. My straight stemmed pipes on the other hand require a slow and gentle smoke or they will gurgle. They could never handle an aggresive technique like my Systems can.
As mentioned I also think the Systems are excellent for aromatics that usually have a bit more moisture in them to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.