PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Due to recent changes in state law there is a burgeoning industry in California for legal cannabis products. One challenge for farmers moving from the black market into the legal arena is dealing with rigorous standards and testing for pesticides. Yesterday I was asked by a friend if my pipe tobacco is subject to the same pesticide regulations as cannabis. I've always assumed that there must be some government regulation of pesticide content in pipe tobacco but really have no idea what the laws are. His question got me curious about the topic, especially because much of what we smoke are blends made from several components that are sourced from all over the globe.
Does anybody know what the deal is with pesticides on tobacco leaf sold in the USA? Are pesticides allowed to be used on tobacco farms? Is all tobacco tested for dangerous pesticides, both domestic and imported?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are some former and current tobacco farmers or growers in Forums and they'd know. I'd guess yes, pesticides are used. What's produced when these burn? Uh-oh.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Well this certainly raises some concerns. I'd didn't even think about it until now. :(

P

pipebuddy

The air we breathe contains a lot more toxic things than our tobacco, I would conclude.

The air we breathe contains a lot more toxic things than our tobacco, I would conclude.

Well, we assume that insecticides are bad for us... but are they? Most are soap based, some are based on the exoskeletons, some attack the enzymes in the insect's digestive systems, but have no affects on us. They just have scary names. The EPA has really done a great job of cleaning up most of the dangerous pesticides. The trick is, while they may not be dangerous to breathe or eat... are they safe to burn and take into our mouths?

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
It is likely not widely studied, as tobacco on its own is a well known carcinogen (containing multiple carcinogens) that people should steer clear of in the interest of good health and self preservation.
If you think pipe smoking is healthy, then you are either a complete moron who is incapable of digesting a multitude of expert analysis (tobacco causing cancer has been beat to death; it's over. Big tobacco lost. No, your accountant buddy with a degree who once took a class in chemistry is not an expert) or you are engaging in a form of self delusion to justify your habit and put your mind at ease.
I smoke a pipe because I like the flavours, the process, the tools and find it the most enjoyable method overall for acquiring nicotine.
The addition of pesticides, very likely, will have a minor impact on whether or not your body self destructs because you use a tobacco product.
Although, I do admit that it would be interesting just to see how much the difference is. Unfortunately, such studies would be considered highly unethical and you'd have a real tough time getting approval to carry one out that provides a definitive answer.
On a side note, I do always love the inevitable comment about some surgeon general's report from the 60's or whatever that hints at pipe smoking being relatively harmless. One data point taken at the peak of the glory days of tobacco is still used today to suggest that tobacco use is actually not bad for you and that a pipe, by some miraculous method, renders tobacco smoke harmless. It's astounding, and an interesting study in its own right.
I think the best advice for health is to just smoke your pipe and accept the consequences, if any. It's the head in the sand approach, which men overwhelmingly favour because it is so damned effective. Until it is not. Pass the pesticide please!

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Apologies. My order of tobacco has been tied up in customs for two weeks, despite paying $80 in shipping and I am a little bit touchy.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Brazil is a major grower of tobacco and they're voting to drastically relax their existing pesticide laws which are not really enforced anyway.
It's not to favour tobacco, but it would have an impact under the agricultural umbrella. Brazilian leaf ends up in a lot of places and I'll bet you if you saw a working farm and what they do, you'd think twice about smoking it.
This is one of those situations where it seems to be a really, far better course of action to simply not ask. Why not slop anything on there that's going to kill some bugs? Who gives a damn about the end user? They're cooked anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.