PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Just a heads-up (pun intended): tonight is the peak of the Perseid meteor shower!
I went outside with a friend, a pipe, a pillow and some whisky. We ended up staying there for almost 3 hours and saw loads of meteors, satellites, and of course just gazed at a starry night.
I'm sure iamnate8 will point his giant telescope at it, but you don't need any special gear. Just go outside and look up.
More info at

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-perseid-meteor-shower
Happy stargazing!

Mar 1, 2014
And I can't find my remote release! Aaargh!

(Which just means I can't do exposures longer than 30 seconds, but in this case that's still pretty much exactly what I want. Or at least I want it just because I can't have it.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Finally it was a clear enough sky here in central N.C. to have a look at the stars, so I went out twice to take a look at the meteor shower, but I didn't see a one. I can only explain this by noting some light ground fog that didn't obscure the starts but apparently diminished the smaller meteors, and light pollution here in the state capital. The coast, on some nights, and the mountains, at either side of the state, offer better views of the heavens. Here in the Piedmont, I often can't even see lunar eclipses because of heavy hanging cloud banks. We do our star gazing at planetariums, alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.