PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Afternoon all,
I'm a long-time lurker who's been smoking a pipe for about 7 years. I'm a USAF veteran currently working on my PhD in economics.
As I write this, I'm breaking in a new Morgan Bones bulldog with some GLP Westminster. Looking forward to discovering more English blends, as well as entering the world of Virginias.
V/R
haparnold

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! Thank you for your service to this great country.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Quite a few vets on the site. I'm USN '68 to '72, enlisted. Have a college senior graduating next year in statistics who might be tending toward economics, unless medical research gets him first. We'll see if he's pulled to grad school or a job ladder ... hopefully first one then the other.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, haparnold.
Happy to have you here!
US Army 86-93
That Westminster is good stuff.
jay-roger.jpg

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I thought there was another fan of Black Frigate here judging by the thread title!
Exactly what I thought. :) Welcome to the forum. These folks are GREAT!
CW

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
My birthday's draft number was something like 285, so I figured I was pretty safe, but I succumbed to the idea of my bunk and the Galley/Mess Deck always being where I was sent, and spent 1972 to 1982 in the U.S. Coast Guard. Took up the pipe in '73 while I was in GM class A school on Governor's Island, New York Harbor. (While there, during one barracks inspection, myself and one other had pouches of chewing tobacco in our lockers. The Inspectors remarked that it was the first time in years they'd seen students with the stuff.)
Kinda figured what with all the extra "work" involved with a pipe, I wouldn't be spending all my days and nights with a cigarette sticking out of my face like so many shipmates.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Welcome to the forum, bud. There are a few former Air Force pilots in my family.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
HapArnold is a great name for an AF vet. Welcome Aboard. I’m a retired U.S. Naval Officer, and I installed a pipe rack on the bridge so I could keep my pipes handy while I was on watch. Great, except during heavy weather.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Eric, that's genius! Unfortunately the DoD is a little more anti-tobacco these days. I can get away with a discreet chaw on occasion, but I've never smoked a pipe in uniform. Quite a far cry from MacArthur, Chesty Puller, LeMay, etc.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
For a while during WWII seemed like every senior officer (O-6 & up) used a pipe. I'm almost certain I remember a picture of Vinegar Joe Stilwell poring over a battle an with a stem clenched.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Pipestud...was nice of Nixon to invite you. My old man got one of those invitations in ‘66 from

Johnson. He used to say he grabbed his extra underwear and left home for good. Got two free round trips to Vietnam. What a deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.