PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I am requesting permission to come aboard the good ship Black Frigate.
I received my package yesterday from SP.com and hastily packed up a bowl of Black Frigate in my trusty commissioned author shaped pipe from William Anderson and I thought it was quite good. I'm looking forward to a few more bowls today.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like you know the protocol. Are you by chance in, or a veteran of, the Royal Navy? I met a vet of the RN after serving in the U.S. Navy during Vietnam, and he couldn't disguise his disdain for our Navy. Understandably. At the time and for some time, the U.S. Navy had mostly short-termers, many driven into the service by the draft, so we were undeniably a motley lot. Whereas, I believe the great majority of Royal Navy officers and sailors were career professionals. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison. The Brits had an ardor for ship shape, and centuries of experience and tradition. Today I think the U.S.N. is somewhat more like that; many more of the officers and enlisted are either intent on a career or at least open to it. My cohort, everyone was crossing off days on their calendars. But there were lots of sharp folks, talented at the shipboard work, and some highly qualified in other careers. Just not all devoted to the fleet.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"and he couldn't disguise his disdain for our Navy. "
mso489 - sort of like the disdain the U.S. Navy has for the U.S. Coast Guard. Funny thing is that during my early Coast Guard years we made port calls in British Columbia, New Zealand, Chile and Peru. The Canadians and New Zealanders readily invited us into their homes and to party with them. The U.S. Navy ships didn't receive the same courtesy.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
This all sounds very interesting. I've always found the Navy being the best component of armed forces. Don't really know why I think like that. TopGun maybe, or that "Last Ship" TV show...

Jokes aside. What were you two gentlemen doing in your respective Navy?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pappy, imagine my surprise in port in Vietnam when a patrol boat pulled up along side our minesweeper proudly emblazoned U.S. Coast Guard. I thought the Coasties were home towing in yachts. Later stateside I was privileged to watch some Coast Guard rescue swimmers combing the currents between shore and a sand-spit island looking for a lost swimmer (unfortunately the guy had gone under and his remains washed up later). But these Coast Guard guys could plow through that nasty current and search the sand spit like it was a walk to the grocery store. Impressive. Had an in-law who had been in the CG, as a driver for flag officers ... he was always skillful at getting preference. The Marines only tolerated the Navy members because we supplied their Corpsmen, not a group to alienate.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Chasing embers caught another one !

image.gif

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome aboard, Fitzy! It's hard to imagine Black Frigate is as good a blend it is, until you've actually tried. I imagined it would be good, of course. But I didn't really think it would wow me. And boy, did it wow me. I'm planning on having a bowl or two later myself. :D

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
mso489 - History channel just started a new series of Deadliest Catch but instead of Alaska it was filmed on the Oregon coast. It won't be long before they have footage of the Coast Guard going across the bar to rescue the fishermen. That is some bad water even on a good day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even crossing the Pacific in fair weather, sometimes the seas were way over our heads, but on the right heading, they didn't come over the side, although they would sometimes come over the bow. Sometimes we'd be on an underway replenishment detail (hauling stuff between an oiler and our small ship) and we'd be knee deep in water, intermittently for hours. I thought to show up in my swim suit but was ordered back to put on dungarees -- more as a matter of order and discipline. My fellow sailors were amused. It was my Navy issue swim suit. We had to heave-ho the line (rope) because putting the line on the winch was too dangerous, too prone to grab someone's arm or leg and tear it off. We'd haul across the fuel hose, food supplies, sometimes the mail, and once or twice new crew members (what a hell of a way to come aboard). I know, sea stories. Some time I'll write about the typhoon, if anyone can stand that. Matey. Don't get old sailors talking. The seas grow taller every year.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I am requesting permission to come aboard the good ship Black Frigate."
Does this mean we all have to suffer yet another galleon sailing across our screens...[yawn].
Regards,
Jay.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
"I am requesting permission to come aboard the good ship Black Frigate."
Does this mean we all have to suffer yet another galleon sailing across our screens...[yawn].
Regards,
Jay.
I quite enjoy the various pictures of ships! I plan to join the fleet on my next TAD order, though I'm not sure when that will be.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I quite enjoy the various pictures of ships!"
If I want to see pictures of ships I go to the art gallery :wink:
It just seems everyone and his dog is attaching such pictures lately and on a small screen such as a Kindle Fire affords they take up so much space.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You know, you could do it too. Put up pics of something you really enjoy. Maybe some of your pipe restores?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Forcing upon others something I enjoy but they might not prevents me going that route, kind thought though CE :puffy:
Seriously though, I don't mind so much the 'still' pictures, it's the moving ones...make me feel seasick :D
Regards,
Jay.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
mso - you were on a big Navy ship. I was on a 267 foot Coast Guard icebreaker which was built in the early 1940s. Instead of a nice sharp keel, the bottom was rounded so it would ride up on the ice and then the weight would crush the ice. When we were cruising the Pacific, it was like riding a football in a swimming pool. We rolled. We took water over the bow. We took water over the port side and then over the starboard side as we rolled back. We even recorded a 63-degree roll coming back around the tip of South American.

Status
Not open for further replies.