PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Howdy all. Yesterday a friend came by the shop and showed me a new lighter. One of those permanent match types from china. Said he bought it for a few bucks on ebay. I LOVED IT! I've been thinking about lighters recently. At home i use matches because i find they light a pipe much better and more evenly than my zippo with the pipe insert. Anywhere else i use the zippo and it's just okay. This permanent match worked just as good as a match for me. I'd never heard of them. I did some research and apparently they've been made for many many years in Japan by the Mitsugiri Mfg. then a US company started copying them (Everstrike) and chinese companies make their own versions and sell on ebay. From everything i can see they're all plastic and cheaply made. I'm not a big fan of cheap plastic items so I'm thinking of making my own but wanted to make it out of some sort of metal (aluminum, stainless, brass, copper, titanium, etc) I like the cylindrical versions better than the rectangular ones but not set on shape yet. Do any of you guys use the permanent matches for your pipe? Any suggestions on ways to make them more user friendly? I'm really leaning towards "red brass" as a material since i like copper but brass would be a bit more corrosion resistant and just develop a nice patina with age.

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
here's a video by a guy showing it fairly well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZt3joy6w_U

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Here's two for $7 on ebay. They sell other brands cheaper but these seem to be slightly better than the one to two dollar deals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-HONEST-permanent-match-striker-oil-lighter-with-key-ring-/161505257292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259a76a74c

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They've been around for years. The "match" is stored in the case. The storage area holds lighter fluid which keeps the material flammable.
The first one I had, still got it, bears a likeness of a Camel pack. It worked fairly well with regards to light. The down side is that it is a two handed operation, hold the packet with striker in one hand and strike with the other. Clumsy for a pipe or cigarette and near impossible in any sort of breeze.
On the plus side it has a soft flame. These are more in the class of a curiosity than a good idea.

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Warren, what is the difference between using that and using traditional matches. When i lit it it didn't seem to be any different than striking a traditional match. I love using wood matches to light my pipe but rarely do just because it's a pain to keep them handy and then i have to dispose of them. This just seems like a way to get the benefits of a wood match with the portability and convenience of a lighter.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not much different. I do most a lot of smoking outside and prefer to shield the pipe with one hand and use a lighter in the other. The permanent match wouldn't be any different than a wooden match in the the hand holding the striker can shield the bowl as you light. I just find matches outside to be a bit clumsy for me.
Matches are probably more dependable in the field as lighters seem to run out of fluid at inopportune times. Still a good windproof lighter is, my preference, quick and easy.
The permanent match seems to be kinda of a hermaphrodite, not really a lighter but, not quite a match in the sense that it needs lighter fluid. Still, the permanent match could be a conversation starter. I'm unsure as to the benefits of match over a soft-flame lighter. Both have ignition fumes which can, I've read not noticed, mar the initial taste of the tobacco.
I suppose the question boils down to personal preference.

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah i have noticed a lighter fluid smell/taste if i don't let my zippo warm up a bit before lighting the pipe. I just have a hard time lighting the pipe evenly with it. I never get a good char going on the entire surface of the bowl the way i can with a match. I do prefer lighter fluid over butane though for purely aesthetic reasons.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had one of those that looked like a pack of camels, but could never really get a good enough flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.