PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Does anyone have any idea of the percentage of Perique used in popular VaPers such as those made by McClelland, Pease, Sam Gawith etc?
I've just rubbed out some Sam Gawith St. James Flake and some McClelland #2015 and the difference seems quite significant going by my nose, the #2015 clearly has more than the St. James Flake. This is borne out too in the smoking, the former being a few points stronger (and nicer) than the latter.
Anyone got any thoughts or ideas please?
Regards,
Jay.

I only have any idea from trying the different Vapers offered by C&D and reading the percentages that they supply in their descriptions. 5-10% seems very fruity, 20% is on the peppery side, and 30% is about as much as anyone could tolerate as a regular smoke. 50% and most will not like it. I like straight perique, so I dabble with some of the perique heavy blends, but no, they are not an out and about all day smoker for me.
As far as exactly what percentages McClelland or SG uses... I'm sure you could write them an email, but I'm not sure I would trust someone on the streets.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Woodsroad I saw you bought a few of the Beacon Extra tins when you showed an order picture one day, so I bought one and I loved it, I didn't find it overpowering in perique. I don't know the percentage though.

You're Probably 100% correct Cortez, but out of curiosity, where did you get the info about Cool Hand Fluke? I enjoy that one sometimes, and it doesn't strike me as that much perique. But, like Woods says...
I did read that a customer made a comment that it has 40%, but I don't read that anywhere from the company, nor the blender. I only ask out of curiosity.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Interesting answers...thanks chaps. I first started out smoking #2015 cut 50/50 with FVF to make it more palatable to me in my early adventures with VaPers and slowly reduced the cut to more like 80/30. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy #2015 as is but when blended with FVF not only does it remove any harshness it makes the smoke far more fruity and more flavoursome overall to me.
Today I mixed 200g of #2015 and 100g of FVF and crammed into a 550ml jar which I suspect with a little time will be quite sublime.
I do the same with SJF to a degree, usually just a straight 50/50 mix but again I like it as it comes too.
Such a versatile leaf I find and is open to much experimentation. A forum member (Tozert) kindly sold me 2oz of McClelland blending Perique and I really enjoyed playing with that. It gave me an excuse to use up the McClelland straight Virginias I had bought but thought little of :puffy:
It just would be interesting to know what proportions the pros used in their blends...likely something we are never to learn if I think about it.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some blends, such as Orlik Golden Sliced, contain Perique in undetectable amounts -- presumably to silently enhance the blend, say, mitigating the sharpness of the Virginias used. It's my understanding that Perique starts to become a forward component at about the 3 or 4% level. After that, it's pretty much "in your face". I'll do some searching to see where I read about this.

Oct 7, 2016
I mostly smoke McC Virginia's and some variants. I never would have guessed that 2015 has a high % of Perique, unlike others that I consider more "Perique forward" like St. James Flake. I have always felt comfortable in categorizing 2015 as a Straight Virginia enhanced by Perique, i.e., Perique used as a condimental seasoning. Live and learn, I suppose, or perhaps smoking a steady diet of 2010, 2035, 22, etc has somehow conditioned my taste buds to be more attuned to the variances in the Virginia's.
And in line with what Woods has said, years ago I heard Mike McNeil say that the % of Latakia in their blends could vary from time to time because croos varied and suppliers varied. Even with the extremely limited supply of Perique, crops could vary from year to year even from the same supplier.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've tried 2015 several times but couldn't like it. Cool Hand Fluke is 40%, Chenet's Cake 35.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I think that I've read that C&D bayou night has about 75% perique. Is that crazy-talk?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Haddo's Delight to my "taste," is in the 35% 40% range. The dark rum really tames the perique in Haddo's Delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.