PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So while I was at my B&M today (OK, yesterday), I mention that I really like VaPers and the young dude behind the counter didn't know what I was talking about, so I explained that they were blends whose main components were Virginia and Perique tobaccos. The owner overheard this and talked about how there's only one farm that produces Perique, etc. After a few minutes talking he realized that I knew what I was talking about (thanks to the info contained HERE). He asked me if I wanted to try some Perique Liqueur. I was intrigued, and he produced THIS... He poured a shot's worth into a plastic cup and toasted and drank. It was amazing! Very sweet, kind like a brandy or cordial, but it had a slight perique flavor in it, and it was super smooth. Unbelievably so, actually. If I was so inclined, I'd be tempted to buy some, but it'd end up being close to some superior top shelf stuff after shipping, so I'll hold off for now. If you DO get a chance to purchase or try some, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it....
-Jason

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That sounds interesting enough to add to my list of things to try.
One correction though - "The owner overheard this and talked about how there's only one farm that produces Perique, etc."
That information is 6-years out of date. When Mark Ryan bought the L.A. Poche Perique processing plant in 2005, that was true. However, since then, he has put incentives in place for more farmers to grow it. There are approx. 12 farmers growing Perique now.
Here is much more detailed, up-to-date, accurate information about Perique in our article that is actually linked to from the Wikipedia page about Perique - The Mystique of Perique
Perhaps you can show this to the owner of the local B&M Jason, so he can get up to date.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I thought I had read that there were more farmers, but couldn't remember, so I kept my mouth shut. I will tell him, though. The Wikipedia link will make it easy.
-Jason
P.S.- There is a lot in that store that is 6 years old, I think. Any place that has Dunhill blends in bulk has some OLD back-stock. I'm slowly clearing out their supply of Dunhill Elizabethan and London Mixture.

May 31, 2012
Anybody else tried this stuff?
Sounds pretty damn good!

http://www.bestabsinthe.com/perique.htm

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/03/01/liqueur-notes-perique-liqueur-de-tabac/

Bar%2BMagazine%2BPerique%2BTobacco%2BLiqueur%2B-%2BJune%2B2011.jpg

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
My name is Mike, and I am NOT an alcoholic, I just like really, really like drinking....a lot.
Well said man! I resent the world for its useless labels. Call me whatever you want. I'll live my life enjoyably the way I see fit.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
OK, it came yesterday and it is not too bad. If you like Benedictine you will like this. It is a bit more like Good and Plenty than just sweet but on the whole not bad for a liqueur. It reminds me a bit of Absinthe.
I wonder though how they got all the bad stuff out of it since tobacco is a natural insecticide.
Oh well, tastes good.
:puffpipe:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So does it taste like absinthe or no? I have a brother with a birthday coming up and he does like absinthe. Also is there a US site that sells this?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If it tasted like Absinthe, I wouldn't have recommended it. I LOATHE anything anise-flavored with Absinthe and Sambuca at the top. To my (limited) palate, and from what I remember of the event, it was more like a sweet fruit/wine flavor with that distinctive Perique/pepper/spicy-flavor.
-Jason

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Yes it does, at least to me. Think Benedictine with an undertone of Absinthe. I stand by what I said, if you like Absinthe, you will like this.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
And I stand by what I said. Even if you don't like Absinthe, you'll like this. :rofl:
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.