PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Hello Gentlemen,
What Virginia/Perique blends would you characterize as being on the heavier end of the Perique spectrum? I love my Escudo but the spice and pepperiness are fairly understated to me, especially as I smoke it more often. I'm very happy with it as a well-balanced all day smoke, I'm just curious about more perique forward styles for sampling purposes. I'd imagine it's very easy to get too much of a good thing, but what blends dish out just enough to satisfy your stronger perique cravings? It'd be great to hear any and all suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
How about a beefed up version.

Try Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bulls Eye Flake.

I believe the dark spot "the bulls eye" is perique.

It's one of my faves.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Correction Lawrence. PS/LBF is one of my favorite Vapers too, but the center is fermented black Cavendish.
An excellent review/ranking of Vapers can be found here in a series of posts by

:worship: a guy named "Slow Triathelete" whose palate is spot-on IMO.
For me, in no particular order the Perique-forward Vapers are:

• H&H's Louisiana Red

C&D's Night Train

H&H's Anniversary Kake

4noggins' Prairie Wind (to me, the best)

SG’s St. James Flake

John Patton's Cool Hand Fluke (from 4noggins bulk blends)
There are many more listed in the above link, but it's late and I can't think clearly at this hour. For instance, I haven't even mentioned GL Pease's, uh, Fillmore, I think; and keep an eye out for Russ Ouellette's Sweet & Savory, which has some Oriental leaf mixed in. 4noggins also has a blend called Weybridge which is excellent, but technically it's not a Vaper because it has some Burley mixed-in for body. (You gotta try their Prairie Wind! )

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I will second Cortezattic's recommendation of Prairie Winds.... I purchased some a while back based on a post that Cortezattic had made and I have enjoyed every bowlful!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's something I've posted many times before, so if you've read it before, I apologize for the redundancy.
I have personally been in the Perique factory in Louisiana. I spent an entire day there. The aromas are amazing, and you can smell them from a quarter mile away, so just imagine being inside the aging barns.
While there are many, many VA/Per blends that I think are outstanding, there are only 2 that have the taste, flavor, and aroma as if you are standing in the middle of the aging room in St. James Parish.
Blakeney's Best Acadian Ribbon (McClelland)

Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like that article Kevin... good read.
@ Cortez...

Gee, thanks a lot!... I learned something today and it's only 10 minutes after 9 in the morning! Haven't even finished my coffee. :crying:

Dang-it!

:D

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
(Good recommendation Briar Bully, I've already got Dorisco)
I'm grateful for all the suggestions, folks - keep them coming if anything else comes to mind. As for Prairie Winds, I'm going to have to break down and order some soon. It always slips my mind when I'm placing an order.
Kevin, I have heard some reviews saying that HH Acadian Perique has too much going on in terms of many tobacco varieties "singing out of tune", if you will. I take it you disagree! I must admit that was one of the blends I considered early on but I haven't heard much about it lately compared to HH Vintage Syrian, for example (apples & oranges, I know) I will have to take it back into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.