PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcguy

Lurker
Aug 12, 2014
One of the guys who helped get Absinthe approved by the FDA in the US is currently making his own Perique-infused liquor, and is attempting to get the FDA to approve it as a food additive so that he can make and distribute it.
'Booze Traveler' visited him, and went on a tour of Ray Martin's farm.
Picture 8 shows the host smelling some tobacco just taken out of the press after one year, and picture 9 shows him posing with the liquor. The show just aired last night, so the video isn't online yet, but probably will be soon -- they discussed Perique for quite a while, including what makes it different from other tobaccos, and even mentioned it as a specific pipe tobacco.
http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/booze-traveler/photos/new-orleans-pictures

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
That's crazy! If it does get approved I will definitely give it a try.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I saw the show. They just about needed a translator when they talked to the guys at the farm.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
It's been available in Europe for quite awhile. I assumed it was available in the States too but evidently not. Never tried it and have no desire. What's next? Condor Bourbon?

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks Kevin for this information. It looks like the show exaggerated the fact about perique.
Percy Martin, is not the last Perique farmer. I have nothing against him. I actually met his sons that work their own farms under the Martin name.
Ok people listen up and pay close attention.
L.A. Poche Perique Tobacco company uses over ten (10) different independent Perique farmers to grow Perique tobacco and they are providing incentives for even more farmers to start growing it next year.
I was there personally and have this information directly from the owner of L.A. Poche Perique Tobacco company, Mark Ryan. I also met several of the different farmers, saw the production facility, and the blueprints and cleared ground for the new storage facility.
Construction is underway on a new climate-controlled storage facility. The new storage facility, plus the addition of more growers will have the production of Perique tobacco increased each year for the next five years.
Now, pay close attention again please:
Here's another thing I think a lot of people missed.
Almost ALL Perique tobacco that has been produced in the last several decades is a blend.
Chances are extremely thin that anyone in this forum can find straight St. James Perique.
It almost doesn't exist.
Here's your assignment, should you choose to accept it.
1. Read the article.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-mystique-of-perique/
2. Come back here and tell me the difference between St. James Perique and Acadian Perique.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a bit apprehensive about an alcohol infused with Perique. I love it in my pipe, not sure how to feel about having it marinading a spirit though.
As for t.v. shows I've decided that QVC needs to do In The Pipe Shop With Bradley. A show I host about getting great deals on pipes, pipe accessories, and pipe tobacco. Who would pass up on a Dunhill if it was on the five easy payment plan?

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"Come back here and tell me the difference between St. James Perique and Acadian Perique"
There really is no difference in the taste especially once it is mixed with other tobacco such as Virginias, Burleys etc. The St James mystic has been the result of very successful marketing.
ps. Percy Martin died awhile back.

Status
Not open for further replies.