PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I used to despise Perique. While I still think it smells like dog poop full strength, it amazes me how this changes when blending with other tobaccos. As long as I don't cross that line of perique becoming too dominant in the mixture, I'm thinking it adds an interesting aspect to the aged outcome.
I have just put together a mixture of Carter Hall for its smooth burn and some strength of the burley, some Sam Gawith 1792 for Virginia sweetness as it ages and its high nicotine content, and finally the perique. The perique addition is added for a curiosity of the effects on flavor over time. This is a test and while smoked as it is today it acts exactly as I wanted, nice cool burn, and great nic hit, and the flavor of the perique is not overpowering.
I am very interested in others experiences with blending with perique.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I like a 30% Perique and 70 Virginia Brightleaf blend. It tastes good and believe it or not the Perique is not overpowering. I find when I drop to 20% Perique the blend becomes rather bland.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I honestly don't yet get Perique entirely. I can detect its presence but I cannot for the life of me describe it. I also have a very strange reaction to it. If I smoke a few bowls of Heavy Perique blends I lose my sense of taste for salt! I also notice that my tongue feels like its enveloped in a thick mucus when I reach that state. People described Perique to me as "peppery" but I still cannot describe it. I'm starting to think maybe I should smoke a bowl of pure Perique but I read in a few places that this is not at all a pleasant experience.
Any ideas how to understand it better?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
"peppery" is used to most often to describe it, but I don't think it's a very good fit. I think more plum like, earthy are better more fitting terms personally. Also stewed fruit.
Any ideas how to understand it better?

Sip slowly, like half as slow as you probably do. St. james woods is what taught me how to sip slow as it kind of burnt my mouth in the beginning, now it's probably my favorite perique blend. If you're getting a salty taste then take a few days off from perique.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
This small batch of Carter Hall, SG 1792, and Perique tastes and smokes really well. Great nic hit too. I only made up about 1/4 oz but its is all gone. I'm going to have to do a batch and hide it from myself somehow if its ever gonna age. LOL

I think I did 50%/25%/25% CH/SG/Per

Status
Not open for further replies.