PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Following a couple of interesting threads on the production and history of Perique tobacco I thought I would insert the below. It is from a book called 'Tobacco Leaves: Being A Book Of Facts For Smokers' by William Augustine Brennan of the Department Of Medical Science at the John Crerar Library (University Of Chicago) published in 1915. The book covers all aspects of tobacco growing, preparation and use going into great detail. Yes it is old and much of the statistical data (poundage grown per annum etc) is of little value today but it really is a fascinating read and I thank whichever member it was (I forget now) who posted the link to this free e-book in the first place.
Perique tobacco is a specially dark, rich variety having special qualities which render it desirable as a component in pipe smoking mixtures , or for straight smoking. Genuine Perique is grown and prepared only in the Parish of St. James in the State of Louisiana by the descendants of the old French Colonists.
The properties which it possesses are essentially due to the peculiar method of curing and fermentation and not to any peculiarity in the leaf itself. It is the only tobacco in the United States that is grown and put in its final condition for the consumer by the farmer. It is said that the output of genuine Perique is small, being well under 50,000 lbs. annually. But there is a good deal of substitute Perique sold in lieu of the genuine kind.

The tobacco is raised on a black, deep, exceedingly rich soil. The leaf is medium in size, about 18″ long, and a rapid grower . The stem is small, the fiber tough and gummy.
In curing no artificial heat is used. The leaf is hung in sheds for about 10 days. It is then stripped into half leaves. These are taken in bundles of about 20 each and converted into rough “twists.” A dozen or so “twists” are packed in a box 11″ square the weight being about 50 lbs. The contents of the box are then submitted to a pressure of about 7000 lbs. for at least 24 hours.
The tobacco is then taken out and the twists again opened up. The leaves are exposed to the air and sunlight until an exudate appears on them and is reabsorbed. This is done over and over again for at least 10 days or until in appearance the tobacco is quite black. That is to say the curing of Perique is accomplished by allowing it to soak its own juice and then submitting to heavy pressure and repeating this process several times.
When the leaf is cured it is made into rolls or “carottes.” A cotton cloth 24″ x 18″ is taken and covered with leaves. Others are spread crosswise over these. Then rolled and a thin rope is wound very tightly about each bundle or “carotte.” This process like the curing is repeated over and over again. One man can handle about 10 carottes in a day, the weight being about 4 lbs. each.
Perique is considered to have a finer aroma than any other pipe smoking tobacco and its presence in a mixture is at once detected by the experienced smoker. It is said to contain only ¼ of the citric acid, ½ of the nitric acid and 6 times as much acetic acid as tobacco cured in air. The resultant aroma is rich and fragrant, and the taste is smooth, delicate and agreeable. It is also claimed that it stimulates the brain without in any way being hurtful to the digestive or nervous systems.
When the carottes are finally made it is usual to leave them under pressure for at least 12 months. The aroma is said to improve as the tobacco grows older.
It has been stated above that much of the Perique tobacco is a substitute for the genuine. This substitute is made by taking inferior leaf and submitting it to a similar process, i. e., pressure and oxidation repeatedly. The process is abridged but a black tobacco results particularly when certain darkening ingredients are added. The moral is if you want genuine Perique be sure where you get it, and don’t grudge the price.

*My bold highlights.
I hope that someone finds this useful, I certainly did :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

At La Poche they had some of those old boxes that were used in the process. Most of their equipment was from this era, just as it was when La Poche built the shed and the first perique was made.

I'm not sure what I could discuss from this excerpt. 1915. I wonder if this guy had even been to St James.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I remember reading on here of a visit a forum member made to La Poche that had several pictures of the various processes (I think it was you Michael but not 100% certain) and I thought then that I would love to visit the place.
The sights and smells of those sheds must be terrific.
If it was you Michael might you post your pictures again?
Regards,
Jay.

A80FD565-3225-4AD0-9B07-BE0AFDFE8D03_zpsk0dvc7w6.jpg

A3D8C4D0-A12B-4309-87BC-7A0A39ECEA10_zpsevkssdaf.jpg

8031F0FD-9AA7-4BFE-927F-EC661E38C775_zpse5l3rl60.jpg

DF713949-56AD-49BA-A74C-8AB10A5AF88A_zpsvamuf2he.jpg

0363D7C4-5B0E-4437-91FF-6FF7017FAACB_zpsrib3rywj.jpg

F7D78B79-BFE0-49FC-850C-C55003EF50B4_zpsbydncun7.jpg

B08DEBFD-B289-4610-89A2-AB95DF8AD5F7_zpsqdimsurr.jpg

96516E5D-BF1B-4C14-A65D-75B7E79EE550_zpswvoccvvt.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
WOW...so it was you Michael...thanks for the pics again :worship:
Those there presses look very much like the old cider presses that were in days gone by on pretty much every farm down here in the South West (cider being part of a farm labourer's wages back then)...alas only seen in museums these days. I wonder why the change from boxes to barrels, ability to take more pressure perhaps?
That must have been a glorious day out for you...sight and smells aplenty :puffy:
That's now three things I would love to see in the US, the other two being the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fascinating stuff. Just FYI, University of Chicago was founded in the late 1800's and had a bankruptcy before it was put on a stable footing by John D. Rockefeller, and was put in academic shape by Robert Hutchins. The institution maintains a quite exalted opinion of itself, sort of looking down at the Ivy League schools as class bound and rickety. They have many Nobel laureates in Physics, Economics, and at least one in Literature (Saul Bellow). I am not an alum; I went to a "lowly" state school, the University of Illinois at Chicago, at Navy Pier and Congress Circle (it was moving at the time), but I enjoy it when people get confused at put me at the fancier private school. My maternal grandfather graduated law school there in the early days of its existence, and my sister was accepted there though she went elsewhere. Interesting that their press was pubishing about tobacco production early in the schools history, about the time my grandfather attended.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for the great read... and thank you Michael for reposting those gorgeous pics to go along with the article

Status
Not open for further replies.