Tags:  No tags yet. 

Perique

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mathoozula
  • Latest reply from Perique
  1. mathoozula

mathoozula

Login to Send PM

Does Perique ghost a pipe? Should I have a dedicated pipe just for Perique blends?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. mathoozula

mathoozula

Login to Send PM

I guess my question is how many different pipes should I need to dedicate to latakia blends, aros, english, etc. for their own pipes so I don't have ghosting?

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My game plan when I was trying to figure out that same thing was to get the Missouri Meerschaum bag of seconds. $30 for 10 cobs can't be beat, imo.

~seanMoses~
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SOme people are more sensitive to ghosting than others. Perique is used sparingly, most of the time, so I would not worry about dedicating a pipe to specific perique containing blends.

Personally, I have some pipes I use for Virginia's and VA/Per's, for English / Latakia mixtures, and some cobs incase I run into some aromatics. As for burley's and other mixture that would not fall into one of the above categories, I will smoke it through the english pipes.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure most ghosts can easily smoked out. So don't get too hung up on dedicating pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. burlpettibon

burlpettibon

Login to Send PM

Personally, I have three dedicated pipes. One for straight VA tobaccos, one for heavy Latakia blends, and one for Aros. Other then that I just go with whatever tickles my fancy.

Though I have to admit the dedicated pipes are a bit on the cheap side. I simply dont have the funds to have three dedicated 400 dollar Rad Davis pipes or whatnot. One is a block meerschaum from Africa that I paid about 45 bucks for, one is a 100 or so dollar David Jones pipe, and my third is a 25 dollar pipe I got from a american carver who was trying to liquidate that turned out to be my best smoking pipe yet, go figure.

If you dont want to go for briar I would recommend getting a couple Cobs for whatever you dont smoke much of but dont want ghosting your pipes. At 5-10 dollars it really is a hard deal to beat.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't dedicate pipes just for perique. My Virginia pipes is what I use to smoke my VaPers, because the amount of perique is so sparse as northernneil mentioned. However, for Haddos Delight and a couple of my stronger VaBurPers, I do have one particular pot-shaped pipe (I hesitate to call it a pot pipe, ha ha) that I prefer to dedicate, because those blends do better in it and just might leave a faint ghost.

That all said, it may be that VaPers would ghost a tiny bit. But, I don't think it detracts from my usual Virginias in any way. It may even add to my enjoyment of them.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been dedicating pipes to different types of tobacco (one for aros, one for Latakia blends, one for Va/Pers, one for codger Burleys, etc., with a bunch of cobs for good measure), but it's less about fear of ghosting and more about not knowing enough about variations of flavor to determine whether or not I've got a ghost. I just figure that, for now, it's easier for me to experiment within the broader categories if I'm not second-guessing myself about whether the flavor I'm experiencing is the tobacco I'm smoking now, or the tobacco I smoked last week.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. flux

flux

Login to Send PM

In my (albeit limited) experience, the only tobaccos I worry about ghosting pipes are aromatics and latakia blends. I don't smoke aro's, so no problems there for me. As for latakia, I have two pipes that are strictly off-limits--VA and VA/Per only in those. But I haven't noticed any of the perique carrying over when I smoke a straight VA in them.

What's everyone's opinion regarding burley? I don't have any burley blends in my rotation, but I'd like to try some. Will it ghost a pipe, or is it prone to being overwhelmed by already ghosted pipes? Like, how might a burley blend behave in a pipe that has only seen VA and VA/Per?

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

Nothing will ghost a pipe less than burley. That being said, the really mild stuff like american OTCs like Prince Albert or Carter Hall will be overwhelmed in a ghosted pipe. But you generally aren't savoring the nuances there anyhow.

Latakia & Aros are the worst of the commonly encountered tobaccos for ghosting but the real culprits are heavily scented stuff like Lakeland blends, Condor, or anything with Deertongue.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found that smoking a VaPer in the same pipe used to smoke straight Virginias will impact the taste of the Virginia. Or, more specifically, the difference is noted if you smoke a Virginia in a pipe used mostly for VaPers.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ebnash, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy, oldgeezersmoker, ashdigger