PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
So I have 3 meerschaum pipes, my new Strambach bent billiard, my Turkish bent billiard and a small Bacchus. I've had the small Bacchus for about 3.5-4 years and was previously lightly smoked by another individual (not much color), and my Turkish one I've had for about 2.5 years which was previously unsmoked. The Turkish bent billiard hasn't really colored well (don't smoke it enough), and I rarely smoke the Bacchus so it doesn't have much coloring either. Since purchasing my new meerschaum I've decided to step up my meerschaum smoking a bit to help with the coloring of the pipes, but I thought I would try waxing them to see if that helps too. I've never waxed any of my meerschaums, but I know some people say it helps and others say it doesn't. Of course there is the variables of the quality of the meerschaum itself that affect the coloring of the pipe too. Now I've read multiple threads and watched multiple YT videos on the subject of waxing a meerschaum. From what I've seen there are multiple ways to do it (dip in wax, wipe on wax etc.), and different beeswax you can use. So I'm just trying to gather a consensus from the meerschaum smokers as to what method each use to wax their pipes and what type of beeswax you use (brown, yellow or white beeswax)? I have a block of natural (yellow) beeswax and I have a bag of white beeswax pellets.

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
I like the natural yellow beeswax best, but i guess its just the same. When i add beeswax to my pipes, i smoke my pipe first so it gets hot, then i add beeswax on. I use a heat gun to melt some wax on whipers or a cotton rag, then i just hold it around the pipe and let it melt into it. Lately, i have found that this way is good: I warm my pipe over a oven or other heat sources (you can also use a heat gun) just by holding in the stem, then i add melted beeswax on with a brush or q-tip. I let it cool down, and do the prosess again if needed. When it has cooled down and you see it has got to much wax, just warm it, and whipe of with a clean, white cotton rag. Then you get an even layer. At the end, when its cold, buff it with a cotton rag so it gets a nice polish.:eek:) Greatings from Norway.

Reactions: rossmycroftholmes

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Like Taazen, I heat my meers with a heat gun.
Then I pour melted beeswax into a container. I paint the melted wax on with a small brush. Heat the meer and wipe off excess. I go through this routine two-three times. After the meer has a good base of beeswax, I heat it one final time to make sure the wax is evenly distributed.
After cooling down I put the meer aside (back in its leather case) and leave it alone for a week, letting the wax soak and harden a bit.
Then I smoke the hound out of it for a week!

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I use the yellow bees wax. I melt it in a small dedicated pot and apply it with a soft paint brush(don't want to scratch the pipe). I remove the stem and use a long pipe cleaner and knot the pipe cleaner inside the bowl so as to give me something to hold onto, the pipe cleaner coming out of the shank. I use a wine cork to seal the bowl so the wax doesn't get in the bowl. Then after applying the wax, holding the pipe cleaner coming out of the shank, I use a hair drier to heat the pipe and remove the wax buildup, drying until all the extra wax has dripped off the pipe. I don't use a cloth as I find they will scratch some of the better meers.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thanks for the input. I too went ahead and used the "paint" method today. If you want to call it that I guess. It just seems so much easier than dipping the pipe and putting it in the oven like I've seen some people do. I put a pipe cleaner in the shank and twisted it to make a loop, so I had something to hold onto, and I put a cork in the bowl to keep the wax out. I heated the natural (yellow) beeswax on the stove, then heated the pipe up with the wife's hair dry and then painted the wax on with a Q-tip. After a nice coating I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, and then re-heated it with the hair dryer and wiped the excess wax off. I then heated it back up and then painted another coat of wax on and let it sit for another 15 minutes. I heated it back up and wiped the excess wax off. It's an easy process and doesn't require a lot of effort. It didn't bring to much color out, but it is showing more color than it did before. Maybe next time I'll use the white beeswax and see if there is any difference though I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sorry, but the waxed pipes do not look like a naturally colored meer. They just look artificially colored with the wax. The wax is not bringing out color so much as imparting color. Which I do not have a problem with, it is your pipe after all, I just do not find them attractive or natural looking.

Reactions: Gabby Hayes
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
This was the first time I've ever waxed a meerschaum. I've had this one for a while along with my Turkish bent billiard. Neither was doing much in the way of coloring, so I thought I would see what the wax would do. My new Strambach meerschaum I'm going to leave be and see how it differs from the other two as far as coloring naturally vs coloring with the occasional waxing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
When I get a new meer I kick start the coloring by smoking it exclusively in the evenings for a few weeks, 2 to 3 bowls on average. After that it goes into my meer rotation of six and will get smoked three to five times a week, more or less. As I've written before I smoke meers at home exclusively, usually in the evening. If I'm home during the day culling photos and such they all get a work out.
I tried wax many years ago. I determined that it does not enhance nor speed coloring, it just layers the pipe with with wax imparting a wax color. Again, this is just my observations. I prefer pipes which are colored from inside with the residues of the incinerated tobacco.

Jan 10, 2014
Don't wish to rain on anyone's parade but Strambach pipes are compressed composite, not virgin block. The meerschaum chips and dust are bonded into blocks with a resin adhesive. This means they will not color significantly no matter how often they are smoked. Waxing will not aid in coloring though it might protect the surface.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Not raining on my parade as my Strambach pipe is a great pipe. One of my favorites and it smokes great. I love the size, shape and feel in the hand. Just waxed it again today, and it is coloring nicely. Per the Strambach website they use a cultured meerschaum; how that differs from composite meerschaum I don't know, but I don't care either. The pipe is great and I've never heard a complaint from anyone with a Strambach pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cultured meerschaum is made from the chemical components that make up the sepiolite. Just as good as the real thing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Saying cultured meer is the same as mined is the equivalent of saying cultured pearls are the same as natural. May smoke as good I suppose. Natural meer varies in density and, I'm sure, in other ways. Cultured meer is uniform, may smoke the same but, I doubt the coloring will match natural, mined meerschaum, with the subtle changes of hue, splotches, etc. (edit: The chemical makeup may be the same but, the physical properties of natural meer are variable.)
I will suggest that one way to encourage meer coloring is to not be fastidious about cleaning same. I think, only an opinion mind you, that the quick wipe inside the bowl many like to do, likely slows the coloring process as tars and residue are removed before they can seep into the mineral. If I was to do this I would let the pipe cool and use a moistened paper towel or something similar.
Further, all of my meers were purchased over the years and were waxed in production. I've never noticed any loss of the original wax over the years. A couple of mine have been in my possession for 50+ years. I did apply wax to a couple at one time but, detected no change in the rate of coloring. I'm a firm believer that meers color at their own rate. One can add superficial color with dirty fingers, wax, etc. The honest to God real, internal coloring is a function of the individual pipe and meer's receptiveness to the coloring residues.
Only my opinion and so is not susceptible to being changed by others' experiences. I'm too old to discard my experiences by reading the experiences of others. :puffpipe: :rofl:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Warren, you sir are correct in that there are many variables at play when it comes to each individual meerschaum pipe. Is it block, composite, or cultured meerschaum. At what depth the block meerschaum was mined (deeper mined meerschaum is better quality, 250-300 feet compared to 100-150 feet). How often the pipe is smoked and what tobacco is being smoked in the pipe. All of this will play a part in the coloring process. Does applying additional wax and/or oils aid in the coloring process. It might and it might not, and a lot of that has to do with that particular piece of meerschaum. Heck you can take a two meerschaum pipes carved from the same meerschaum kernel (large block of natural meerschaum) and they will color differently. One thing that I think that all of us will agree on when it comes to coloring a meerschaum pipe... you have to smoke it!

Jan 10, 2014
It seems that meerschaum pipe coloration is mainly the result of several factors. One is amount of time the pipe is smoked: frequency, duration and number of decades. Another is composition of the coating on the pipe. Beeswax, spermaceti (oil from the sperm whale's "nasal" cavity, illegal by international law) and jojoba oil (chemically same or similar to speraceti) are believed by many to enhance coloration. Paraffin and stearin (a triglyceride derived from animal fat) produce a dull, muddy finish. Waxing a new pipe is an investment in future coloration. Rarely does it produce swift result. In my experience, the kind of tobacco smoked does not affect coloration but the amount of heat generated by aggressive smoking does. Smoke slowly and coolly if you want a meerschaum to color on the bowl. You are right: coloration speed varies from pipe to pipe. I have a pipe purchased in the mid-1970s that only began coloring within the last few years while another, also purchased new, is coloring beautifully in less than 15 years. Waxing with a beeswax-jojoba paste had nearly immediate results on an Ulmer variant that is nearly identical in design to one in the Amsterdam Pipe Museum that is estimated to be 120 years old. The pipe was dirty and the chamber was clogged with a thick carbon cake. The bowl was cream colored. After cleaning and waxing the bowl's color was significantly darker. It continued to darken up to sixteen months of regular (weekly) use but has not noticeably progressed since then. It therefore appears that re-waxing benefits the coloration of pipes that have been smoked for several decades more than it does new pipes. I have never been successful in downloading images unto this site. However, you can see a composite of the progression at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41273109@N02/16067109323/in/album-72157632472761650/

Status
Not open for further replies.