PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I hope it's okay to post this as the maker if not a site sponsor but I thought you folks would enjoy checking this out. Right up my alley but I'm PAD'ed out and afraid to ask the price.

http://www.kg-pipes.gr/
Hmmm, for some reason every page on his site has the same address. Go to Pipes/ Pipes Without Filter/ Pipe 1510. It's the snake like one. All the pictures are attached or I would just link a few. Anyone more skilled with puters than I, know how to get around this?

Jan 8, 2013
How is that even possible? I just held a straight piece of paper against the pipe on my screen. It might actually be drilled straight.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
1510.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
He stated in a discussion that the drilling follows the S and passes a cleaner. I assumed he was using the same type of drilling that Ser Jacopo employs. Thanks Cortez.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I'm more intrigued by the transition between the stem and shank. I wonder if it's one piece or if the stem is removable.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm more intrigued by the transition between the stem and shank. I wonder if it's one piece or if the stem is removable.
Yeah! Me too!! He says it's a one piece pipe.

It's a small, tiny paddle bit on a bendable shank, inside a stiff coil. The coiled shank can be shaped to a curve and the paddle bit follows the coiled shaft. I have several lapidary curved bits (but they are worn out from use), but there are many that are manufactured for the high-end woodcraft industry, mostly for artists wanting to hide wires in craft/art items. Hilson pipes has a few pipe designs that use the bent drafts, and there is a new local pipemaker here that is playing around with the drill bits also. I've seen one at a jeweler and lapidary show that has two wires that allow you to guide the drill bit like a steering wheel, making that snake shaped hole.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I was hoping that Youtube had a video of the process but could not find anything. Even though Michael posted the process, I cannot get my head around the manufacturing technique...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe that the technique is simply scaled down oil patch technology. That industry has been drilling at angles for many years. The wonder is that it works at the small scale that it does. Not too many years ago power tools for such endeavors did not exist. We do indeed live in wondrous times!

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
There are a few mind boggling pipe on that website. The Sushi Pipe... the Frappe. I think the flower pipe in the sold section of the same page is an interesting idea.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I don't care much for the snake scales personally and would have loved to see the birdseye on the bottom, either way its a nice peace of functional art. Thanks for sharing

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for sharing, I think his pipes are amazing, and he seems like a genuine nice guy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.