PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It was a gorgeous autumn day here in Chicagoland and I was out with my pipe, my air rifle enjoyed a nice afternoon with my son. Somewhere along the afternoon, I got to thinking about "perfect" things. Things that are a joy just as they are, for what they are and I'm thankful for them in the long list of things I am thankful for. As I walked, realized I was enjoying 4 perfect things which prompted me to think about more.
I think we'd all agree that pipes are a perfect thing, or as near a perfect thing as they are likely to be. How will the future really make them better? Self cleaning? Self reaming? No need for pipe cleaners? Bah. They are near perfect in my mind just as they are. The variety of quality pipes at all price ranges out there is amazing.
Todays tobacco is a perfect thing - not just one blend, but the entire cornucopia of offerings. Aside from one day science figuring out how to make all tobacco non-cancerous, they can't really do much to improve on todays incredible selection of tobacco. We're truly living in the golden age of pipe tobacco.
Brooks style bicycle seats. Invented in the 1800, the classic leather bicycle seat is a perfect thing. We've tried to improve upon it since it was invented but despite the 150 years, millions of dollars, light weight space age materials, we really haven't made a better or more comfortable bike seat. Like a pair of jeans, they are stiff to begin with but mold to your body to provide the perfect ass hammock for your bike.
The Shot Gun - Really, how will this improve? From over and unders, side by side, to pumps, the modern shotgun is about as good as it will get. It will drop everything from a duck to a deer. They may get lighter, but they probably wont get appreciably better. At least they haven't in my life time.
Blue Jeans - enough said. No more money needs to go into developing better, every day casual pants. We're done ever since Levi sewed the first pair together.
The cast iron skillet. Around for hundreds of years, the perfect cooking skillet. Properly seasoned, it makes food taste great and is easy to clean. As a civilization, we've spent billions trying to come up with lighter, slipperier and easier to clean but we're never really done it. We're made them lighter and more toxic, but certainly not better. Like All-Clad pots, by them once and you are done for the rest of your life, and most likely your children's.
Merrell Shoes - wear a pair for a week and you'll see.
Add to the list!

Jul 15, 2011
Merrell Shoes - wear a pair for a week and you'll see.
Never worn them, but I can say about the same thing for Wolverine Boots. Have had one pair for a year and a half and is the only shoe ever that required no break in for me. Relieved almost a decade of foot pain.
Swiss Army Knives- How anyone can live without one is beyond me.
WD 40- What can you NOT use that stuff for?
Dremel-With the proper attachments and a tool of a variable speed variety, I could probably build a house if I had to.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
+1 on the Merrel shoes.

In my days of Managerizing KMart, they were the Bee's Knees.
On my list of "Perfect Things" I have to add my scooter.

2003 Fat Boy; solid black.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
+1 on the Merrel shoes.

In my days of Managerizing KMart, they were the Bee's Knees.
On my list of "Perfect Things" I have to add my scooter.

2003 Fat Boy; solid black.

While I was out riding today, and loving the smell all of those wonderful backyard BBQ's.

I did some guess-timating, mental calculations: reason Mom asked me how much it weighed... I couldn't tell her.

Dry Weight: 547 lbs.

Gasoline: -- 70 lbs.

Oil: -------- 5 lbs.

Leather:---- 25 lbs.

Boots:------- 6 lbs.

Helmet:------ 3 lbs.

Me:-------- 240 lbs.

Total:----- 896 lbs.

War Dept./w gear: 155 lbs.

With the War Department on the bike approx.... 1051 lbs.

I love throwing my weight around... corners.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Post-its -- there's just not anything else you can do with them, and yet they're literally thousands (depending on how generous your idea of different things is).
Pencils - the standard #2 just isn't going to get any better, unless one day they let us switch to HB as the standard but that's just a personal preference.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Pipes of course, and Goedewaagen tobacco, an autumn day, my old Jeep, Christmas with my grandkids, and a pair of Sketchers with the round bottoms. Perfect is very subjective :D

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
A Lady, They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, Need not say more. :worship:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Perfect?
Winston Fly Rods

Wheatherby Rifles

Schilke Trumpets

Her bottom

pal_cal_derriere9206.jpg

The perfect woman to come home to:

welcomehomedear.jpg