PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
So, this is a perfect night.
Players: Stanwell Golden Danish, G.L. Pease Sixpence, Old Fashioned, Pipes Magazine Radio Show, ideal weather.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tarak:
In between being a school teacher in Argentina and selling I.T. solutions in Kansas I was a bartender for eight wonderful years in a classic chop house down in SW Missouri.
One of the first cocktails I learned to mix was an Old Fashioned and the old gal who taught me thirty-five years ago was older than dirt in the early 80's. I prefer soda water, sugar and Angostura Bitters for the early muddle and then the adult beverage of your choice and either water or soda for the rest of the build. And fruit? (Well, fruit is an option for the faint-hearted.) I always preferred making a man's drink.
Tarak, are you far enough north that bourbon has given way to rye, or God forbid, Canadian?
What a grand evening you had, pard, and I hope the reed continues to improve.
Fnord

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@fnord- this thread is long since dead, but oh well. I see a lot of variation around here on what spirit people choose to use for their old fashioned. I'd say bourbon is still most common. You want to here a really sad story? I was in a bar once where the bartender said "I'll make you the best old fashioned you've ever had".
He used Southern Comfort. *Shudder*
It was NOT the best I'd ever had.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well sometimes one has to acquire the taste for fire water :)
My suggest might be to try it with just a dash of water- a small bit can smooth it out surprisingly. Not everyone will love whisky, obviously, but I do think it goes nice with a pipe.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Pusser's Rum goes well with MacBitey's Navy Flake. Which seems kind of natural, if you think about it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I enjoy a good rye or bourbon with a good bowl of tobacco, don't have much experience with scotch. Never had an old fashioned but sounds like I need to give it a try. :puffy:

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I like it, I like it a lot.

My whiskey of choice is Seagram's 7 on the rocks.
enjoy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.