Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'm curious about what happens to the leftover edges and trimmings from when those perfectly rectangular flakes get cut. Does anyone have any insight into the process?
ODF has a ready-rubbed bulk version, so I would assume that the edge trimmings all go towards that. What about other flakes? What happens to the loose pieces?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Probably not a whole ton of scraps since the blocks are highly compressed squares.
My guess is that it goes into the pipes of employees on break. :puffy:

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Probably not a whole ton of scraps since the blocks are highly compressed squares.
This. The block is compressed in a square mold, that square block is then cut in slices...
Think along the lines of sliced bread. If there are any leftovers, it'll just be the very end of the block where it can't be sliced without crumbling anymore. That probably goes in to the pipes of the employees at break indeed...

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I'd imagine the off cuts go back in to the press with the next batch. I once received a tin of BBF containing nothing but loose bits. It was also my first tin and I wondered where the H the F in BBF was. Oddly, it was probably the tastiest tin I've had.

When you buy flakes in bulk, they usually come in huge blocks in a box, already sliced into flakes, and you can tell how it was made by the way you can still see the whole leaf in the top of the block. I don't think there is any waste in the process. Most companies are pretty efficient with their production, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.