PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I'm curious of thoughts as well. There was another thread shortly after McClelland closed shop that hoosierpipeguy (I think) said that he preferred one of the blends over another. Curious if it still holds true.
I check Peretti's site, and see they have some nice looking tobacco, but haven't bought any yet.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Some blends were made with McClelland's tobaccos, particularly the flakes. I don't know how many fall into this category, but Peretti's has a number of blends that use Sutliff tobaccos.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Is Sutliff considered a "higher end" house? I am always skeptical of company's that offer a multitude of offerings no matter what the industry.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sutliff blends for other labels, like Peretti, and supplies tobaccos to other labels, including McClelland when they were still around. They also offer blends under their own name. They've been around since 1849, blending and supplying tobaccos to the industry, so I would assume that they've been doing something right.

Dec 24, 2012
They canceled some of their blends that relied on McC tobacco, such as oxford flake. I heard that they rejigged one or two others using alternative sources of tobacco (I believe London Flake was one of those, but there may be more). The non-flake English blends, including Tashkent, were not impacted, I understand.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I was in their shop just earlier today.
Tashkent in still available, thank heavens.
The Scottish flake, the Oxford flake and the Cambridge flake used some McClelland as an ingredient and are thus no more.
But they still have many wonderful pipe tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.