Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

Peretti Blends?

(21 posts)
  1. rodo

rodo

Login to Send PM

I've found a few reviews here of Peretti blends. More thoughts on them generally? Seems to me that they are very old school but...is their tobacco their own? Surely it is merely blended by them? But I don't know. Curious if anyone knows more of how, well, I guess original, unique, they are.

Posted 9 months ago #
  2. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Famous blends from this 19th century US blender: Cuban mixture, Tashkent, Royal, British.

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, Perettis is a 19th century smoke shop and blender. They have produced many of the same blends throughout their history. As a small shop they source their leaf from larger vendors such as McClellands now Sutliff and others but they blend and process the leaf to their own specifications in store. Same goes for top dressings, sauces, etc. So when you buy a pound of Cuban mixture, for instance, you’re not getting reskined 1q, which I believe was at the root of your query.

Posted 9 months ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Peretti's makes most of their blends, a few, flakes I believe, were made by McClelland and Sutliff for them. Now it's just Sutliff.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 9 months ago #
  5. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have not had the blends since McClelland closed, but prior to this they had some really solid Virginia flakes and a few other great blends. I am sure they are still good, I just haven't had occasion to order from them lately.

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like their No 8 Slice. Spicy VaPerBur that's more of a cake than flake.

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Omega and Royal are both very good, but Tashkent is something special to me.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 9 months ago #
  8. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

333 is one of my favourites and haven’t found it elsewhere under another name

Posted 9 months ago #
  9. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of Peretti's blends. Cuban Mixture and Park Square are incredible. I always pick up their tasty Holiday offerings. Many of the aromatics are also terrific.

Posted 9 months ago #
  10. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

Fairly new pipe smoker here. I had ordered all my tobaccos online thus far, but discovered Peretti's on this forum, and I'm just north of Boston.

I was in town last night to see Elvis Costello, and before the show I made a trip to the shop.

I picked up an ounce each of Blend 102 and Boston's Best Cavendish. Just tried the 102, and really liked it. Definitely an old-fashioned note and flavor to me, which is right up my alley. I'll buy more of this.

Posted 8 months ago #
  11. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my regrets is that I never smoked Peretti, though I considered doing so many times.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking some of their Park Square at this moment. I've been a fan for years, ever since I ducked into the shop on a rainy October walk through the Common quite a few more years than I care to mention ago. They have wonderful, old world tobacco, you won't get anything as grand as Royal or Tashkent from anyone else. As well, they have high quality , old fashioned aromatics and top notch burley blends, like No. 52 (Burley, Red Virginia and Dubek, delicious). Check out their lineup, pick a couple and try a few ounces. My bet is you'll find a blend you'll go back to for life.

Posted 8 months ago #
  13. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

Are they good yes.....but I can think of a lot of blends that are better and not $80 a pound.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A generous Forums member sent me a few samples including two Peretti blends, Thanksgiving Day and their classic burley, maybe it's 502. Both were excellent. I'm saving a little of the Thanksgiving Day for the actual holiday.

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only GH and SG come in lower than Peretti. Both are a great value of which I freely availed myself. Escudo was the only tinned tobacco that I spent a lot of money on. Had I liked Peretti I would have been fine with the price. Pease at ~$70.00 always seemed a steal.

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. buck17

buck17

Login to Send PM

I have a few jars of a few blends I ordered and enjoy them all. Also might have gotten them in the McC era. Regardless, recommended. Not new wave blends though you're right. Old school classic tastes.

Posted 8 months ago #
  17. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I love Blend 333. I did notice once that McClelland's went out of business that some of Peretti's flakes disappeared. There was one that had wine in it I believe. Those blends were on my list of must trys but now they are gone. I do highly recommend Blend 333 as an incredible burley blend.

Nate
    Posted 8 months ago #
  18. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never tried their blends. Hmm. Must.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  19. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

Cabbie's Mixture is my favorite so far.

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peretti's has a special place, along with Iwan Ries, in the Pantheon of tobacconists, just something about the long history and tradition. These places, and a few others, retain an institutional memory of when pipe smoking was a staple of the culture not a throw-back.

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried some B-94. I wanted to like it, but there is a persistent soapy taste that I’ve only ever encountered with Lakelands. The descriptions only mention rum as a topping, but the soapy taste was there through the entire bowl. I’m hoping I can use it as a mixer, without too much of that taste coming through.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88, oldgeezersmoker