PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Really? Crawfish an invasive species that needs to be eliminated? YOU PEOPLE IN MICHIGAN ARE NUTS! Crawfish is a cash crop raised by farmers who makes millions every year selling them in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi. They are exported around the world! What is the matter with you!
http://michiganradio.org/post/tiny-lobsters-doom-why-invasive-crayfish-bad-news
Disclaimer: In all seriousness, invasive species are very destructive and crawfish can damage earthen dams and possibly cause soil erosion in some areas. In Louisiana, this species is controlled by eating them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There in MIchigan, I guess it depends on what else the crawfish are displacing. If it's muskies and walleyes, that might not be good. If it's nothing much, brad may need to open a cookiing school for mud bug ignorant Michiganders.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have eaten many strange things in the Delta, in the jungle also. Drew the line at Monkey on a spit, looked too much like a little baby. We used to hide when Crawfish were eaten because the Yankees among us would snicker, nowadays they"ll elbow you to get their share. Michigan needs to import some Boudreauxs, and Thibadeauxs and go to town. :laughat: PS our Zoos are the only place in the World where they have a recipe below the Animals info. :rofl: ::

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Why would Michiganders wish to get into a competition with Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi? I suspect none of those three states would look happily on the entry of an upstart into their limited market. Particularly true if Michigan's entry causes the market price to drop. Suddenly millionaires become "thousandaires."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Why would Michiganders wish to get into a competition with Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi? I suspect none of those three states would look happily on the entry of an upstart into their limited market. Particularly true if Michigan's entry causes the market price to drop. Suddenly millionaires become "thousandaires."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Invasive species are a beast, but as pappymac says, we could put our human superpowers to use and eat them all!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Following Brad's post......
"Marie," Boudreaux whispered to his wife late one night, "if I died, would you get married again?" "Mais, yeh, I guess," she replied. "Would you sleep in de same bed with him?" "Well, it's de only bed in de house, so I guess I'd have to." "Would you make love to him?" "Cher," Marie said patiently, "I guess, since he'd be my husband." "Would you give him my pickum-up truck?" "No, Boudreaux. I wouldn't never give him your pickum-up truck." she yawned, "Besides, he don't know how to drive a stick shift."

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have eaten Nutria and I'm guessing Brad has also. Some invasive species are good.
As far as displacing Muskies and Walleyes, I don't think that would happen. You can cut open fresh and some saltwater fish down here and they will have crawfish in their bellies. I'm sure the Muskies and Walleyes will figure out its just another food source.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Reading the article the worry is that the red swamp crawfish will out compete the native crawfish of Michigan. There seems to be some erosion concerns about this species since it digs a deeper burrow than the native species do. Here in Minnesota our crawfish tend to be a green brown color and make great bass bait.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yea Pappy, at my camp for a months vac while I was working for Exxon, went in the marsh and killed about 6 big Nutrias for a supper. It was Friday night and wife was comeing in from Baton Rouge, my Buddy was a very good cook and was stewing them down, a card game was going on, Beer and drinks were flowing, wife comes in, I say to her how about some R&R with hot rice and potato salad. She says I haven't eaten all day. She tore in the R&R and ate 2 plates. Later The party was loud, jokes were being told, she asks what is R&R stew, I tell her Rat In A Roux, the look on her face was not a happy one, she is not adventurous in her food. I heard about that for a long time. :rofl:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Might be wise yes. But, then Michigan would have to attract people from "Cajun Country" to learn how to properly prepare them.
I've cooked them, eaten them if different parts of the world. Had some tasty meals. Nothing compares though, to a home cooked, Cajun style, in Cajun Country, meal of them. Not even fine dining places in New Orleans can come close.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Hmmm...eating invasive species, you say? I wonder what Californians taste like...
Not sure, but I know you'd be tasting lead if you tried to eat this one. I don't take kindly to zombies and cannibals.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Warren - some people think the only way to eat crawfish is boiled but there is nothing wrong with a good Crawfish Etouffee.
Brad - I new a wild game processor who used to turn nutria into a sausage stick like Pepperoni. He also did a breakfast sausage made from nutria, venison and egg that you just had to slice and put on a biscuit. No cooking necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.