PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I know I've been absent awhile, but I certainly do miss Mr Lowercase, and Peck! I know cigarmaster is all consumed with a new love... maybe someday we will see him back.
Just wondering if I missed something, besides them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Peck's probably hiding in the Peck Cave waiting to weather the FDA storm and misterlowercase exiled himself due to some unfortunate Forum nastiness.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
MLC had a massive burnout on multiple forums over a 3-day period. I understand that he's doing better now, and can be found on a different pipe smoking forum.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Mr. LC will not be back unless Kevin has a change of heart. They got into an argument, Troy was having an especially bad day, and things were said that left Kevin little choice.
Couldn't be a sadder situation, imo. Mr. LC is a legit Pipeworld treasure.

Reactions: pruss

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Couldn't be a sadder situation, imo. Mr. LC is a legit Pipeworld treasure."
Yes indeed. There was a fellow, hawky454????, who was presseing some of his own kakes. Miss that guy. Peck lurks, it seems, and I bet he will chime in with something very nice to say. He is light and sunshine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One of the interesting aspects of bumping really old threads is the presence of former members who have moved on. Some of them were very active for a time. I think that there's a point where much of the content becomes repetitive after a while, so one's interest begins to fade and other activities come to the fore, or life changes necessitate moving on.
I certainly miss the Peck and Harris duels, which were screamingly funny. I miss starcat. I definitely miss the "starcat" thread.
I also miss some of the really knowledgeable collectors who used to post here, like Kashmir, who knew a lot about Comoy's pipes, or rmbittner who knew a great deal about pipes and pipe history.

Reactions: kashmir

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Interesting thread. Has me thinkin I need to go lookin for some of these older threads.
We had a similar discussion a while back on the airplane thread I've been a member of for about 8 1/2 years now and until last year was the only forum I was a member of.
Being a noob here I have found this site to be full of decent and helpful folks but I do find the site to be more difficult to navigate than others. not as intuitive as I would like. I'm sure this will get easier the longer I'm here.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
One of the interesting aspects of bumping really old threads is the presence of former members who have moved on. Some of them were very active for a time. I think that there's a point where much of the content becomes repetitive after a while, so one's interest begins to fade and other activities come to the fore, or life changes necessitate moving on.
I certainly miss the Peck and Harris duels, which were screamingly funny. I miss starcat. I definitely miss the "starcat" thread.
I also miss some of the really knowledgeable collectors who used to post here, like Kashmir, who knew a lot about Comoy's pipes, or rmbittner who knew a great deal about pipes and pipe history.
As a fairly new person here, I do enjoy the posts by pipe authorities on the histories of various pipes and lines, Comoy, Dunhill, etc. Doesn't seem to be as much of that now as seemed on older threads. Maybe because so much of it has been hashed. The one constant in life is change and as time goes on, there are bound to be fewer of these people around, but I wonder if some of these old threads and people were appreciated for what they brought at the time they were active?
People tend to organize in clicks and I hope some of these old pipe masters try to pass on their interest and knowledge to others rather than keep it to themselves. That is the only way of insuring the future.
Chances are good that some of these threads and fights of the past were not as well-received at the time they happened; often it isn't until someone is gone that you realize what you had. While morning the past, don't overlook the present--- 5 years from now people might very well be saying the same things about some of the members of today! Nothing is forever--- except change.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nothing is forever--- except change.
True that, and a forum is an ever changing space from the standpoint of the personalities posting, not so much from the standpoint of topics.
Chances are good that some of these threads and fights of the past were not as well-received at the time they happened; often it isn't until someone is gone that you realize what you had.
Also true. Some members were very unsettled by the 1100+ post starcat thread, an outpouring of stream of consciousness, hilarity, wit, debates on the nature of chili, that was a much needed psychological cleansing after the massive explosion over political issues that shredded the place a couple of weeks earlier. We lost a number of members over those events. But the Peck/Harris exchanges were pure bawdy hilarity between two friends.
People tend to organize in clicks and I hope some of these old pipe masters try to pass on their interest and knowledge to others rather than keep it to themselves.
With very few exceptions I've found pipe scholars to be very willing and happy to share what they've learned. They certainly have been happy to share here when the opportunity arises. To me it's a shame that they have largely left off participating here. But that's also part of an evolving space. The population changes and so do the topics that interest and engage it.

Jan 8, 2013
I miss quite a few of them as well. But I understand sometimes members will just take a break for a while. I myself have gone I think close to 3 months without posting. So hopefully they'll return as well.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
People come and go. Forums like any closed order or community are prone to schism's. After seeing some of the shenanigans on other forums I can now see how we have so many different churches with each one claiming to be the 'one true' path to redemption. To take another analogy that is less contentious I can see why so many heavy metal bands kept splitting and reforming back in the day. You went from Dremble and Widgets who after six different splits and a couple of over doses reformed themselves as Iceberg Lettuce and the Mayo Wedge or something like that! Dan is absolutely correct MLC did have a bad day and didn't put the lens cap cover back on his inner monologue which resulted him blowing up on three different forums including one John and I were moderators on. This was further complicated by the fact the forum owner was MIA that day I could not work out how press the 'death ray' button to drop poor old MLC into the piranha tank!

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
There are people I still think about from long defunct forums from the early 2000's. Just the way the world works.
The landscape always changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.