Penzance vs Pappy van winkle bourbon 23 year old.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Bourbon and bullshit have a deep and meaningful relationship. i.e. You hate Dunhill's price inflating pretentiousness? Bourbon, Inc. makes them look like amateurs:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/04/401001273/bourbon-empire-reveals-the-smoke-and-mirrors-of-american-whiskey

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
If I had a reasonable supply of Penzance, I would trade it for Pappy. Of course, I've been trying to get my paws on a bottle for 15 years -- so it's all about priorities.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
+1
I have a reasonable supply of Penzance - so if anyone is interested in a trade for some Pappy, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :wink:
The Pappy is much more elusive IMHO. Tried it twice, it's great stuff.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah the Pennsylvania liquor board is having a lottery right now for a limited supply they received. It was only open to PA licensed residents I put in for all bottles being offered no luck so far.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I will trade a couple of tins for some Aberlour 18. Just don't drink any other whiskey other than scotch and maybe some single malt Irish.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Sorry, guys:
Penzance and Stonehaven are available if you're willing to work the chain.
PVW, on the other hand is a harder nut to crack. But, one of these days, I'll walk into the right bar, pay fifty bucks for a shot and yell "Horseshit," for what I'm poured.
I won't be expecting the Second Coming, but I will want the Epiphany.
I'll be tossed by than.
Fnord

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
LOL, I know nothing of Penzance. But a very good friend of mine just found out the 4 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle he has had for years and years are worth a ton of cash. One is in the green bottle, believe or not it will go for $20,000 dollars! Blows my mind! The best part is they have just been sitting on a shelf in his house all this time, he had no idea they were worth any money. Better to be lucky than good lol!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
LOL, I know nothing of Penzance. But a very good friend of mine just found out the 4 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle he has had for years and years are worth a ton of cash. One is in the green bottle, believe or not it will go for $20,000 dollars! Blows my mind! The best part is they have just been sitting on a shelf in his house all this time, he had no idea they were worth any money. Better to be lucky than good lol!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Pappy simply isn't that spectacular...it's mighty tasty for sure, but it's not worth the exorbitant prices it's currently fetching. In reality PVW 23 is probably a solid $150.00 bourbon, the rest is hype and hysteria.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
philobeddoe, I love your screen name, "left turn clyde!
As for the price of my friends booze, well I figure insanity is the only thing I can come up with. I don't understand why anyone would pay these prices. I can distil quite a bit of shine for $20,000 not to mention most burbons, whiskey, or Scotch can be had here for $100.00 or much lower. But I am happy for my friend as it is quite a find for him! Besides for me George Thorogood may have said best lol!!
My whole family done give up on me

And it makes me feel oh so bad

The only one who will hang out with me

Is my dear Old Grand-Dad"

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ford:
I fell in love with Old Grand-Dad bottled in bond my sophomore year in college 35 plus years ago.
"How does something, which tastes so good, get me this 'effed up so early in the evening?"
That beast was quickly tamed with a "three and done" rule I've lived by for many, many years.
Great post, BTW, Shanelktown.
I'm also truly happy for Ford's pal. I hope he rides the damned hysteria and makes a killing - supply and demand makes for lovely opportunities for wise investors. This bourbon trend might get a touch crazier, Ford, but if your friend has legitimate offers on the table it might be a good time to sell the show pony.
Fnord

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah only reason this was posted because the state of PA has received a supply of pappy an assortment of bottles and they presented it as a lottery couldn't imagine penzance or stonehaven being presented in a lottery. But then again maybe it's a practice that should be pursued.

Status
Not open for further replies.