Tags:  No tags yet. 

Penzance vs Margate....

(36 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by jjarrett88
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjarrett88

Login to Send PM

I honestly just can’t figure out what the fuss is over Penzance. Margate just seems like a far superior smoke to me.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, not a problem.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, not a problem.--

Sorry; duplicate.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjarrett88

Login to Send PM

Haha, was hoping someone could educate me on what I should be experiencing from the Penzance.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

I like both but there are fairly different to me so I can understand why some folks would prefer one over the other.

If you like Margate you may also like Pembroke which is Margate that has some cognac added. Again, some folks prefer Pembroke over Margate and some the opposite. I would suggest you revisit these a few times over an extended period before writing off Penzance

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is no problem, you're missing nothing. Different strokes. Penzance is not the Holy Grail. Enjoy the Margate and be happy it is way more easy to obtain.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

Jf Germain just released a new product called 1820 Flake; they say their 1820 Blend is the base for Penzance. Looks interesting and reviews for it so far are very good

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. thedudeabides

thedudeabides

Login to Send PM

Margate to me has more of the church incense thing going on than Penzance. It also strikes me as having a briny, almost olive tin note at first. Interesting stuff!

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Jf Germain just released a new product called 1820 Flake; they say their 1820 Blend is the base for Penzance. Looks interesting and reviews for it so far are very good

From what I've read on other forums, not even in the same ballpark.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A UK on line shop made that statement. I have smoked 1820 and fail to see any resemblance. Could it be more like Penzance if in Flake form? Well, I suppose all things are possible. But my understanding is that it won’t be available in the US. The only guys I know who have any just got it recently from trades with UK friends. They got pouches, and the flakes were all broken up. Reviews from them aren’t all that favorable.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that Penzance is pressed Margate. Sure there will be some differences from the pressing but in the end they are essentially the same blend. If you like Penzance better but happen to have Margate on hand buy a noodle press and voila! You now have Penzance.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that Penzance is pressed Margate.

It's not. While both are blends Germain's created for private label use, they're different blends from that catalog.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not. While both are blends Germain's created for private label use, they're different blends from that catalog.

There was just a recent post by Premal that confirmed that it is. But who knows, maybe he got it wrong too.

Premal,

"As far as I knew, Penzance is Margate with something to keep it held together because of the double cut just like Krumble Kake is Our Best Blend.”

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to trying the 1820 Flake as I like Penzance but price wise Penzance is cheaper for me. Availability vs price I suppose...

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

"As far as I knew, Penzance is Margate with something to keep it held together because of the double cut just like Krumble Kake is Our Best Blend.”

And I've heard it differently from several other sources, including Greg Pease. Steve Richman requested some changes to the Germain's blends that he was offered, so each is a little different.

There has been this suggestion that the Esoterica blends are a copy of the Smokers Haven blends that has been contested by knowledgeable people on both sides.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Margate doesn't taste the same as Penzance.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. exbenedict

exbenedict

Login to Send PM

I agree, Margate IS better than Penzance. That being said, I never pass up an opportunity to grab an "unobtanium" when I can at regular retail prices. If for no other reason than I can use it for trade later, or, if I don't need anything at the time...smoke it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

I love Margate. I also love Ramsgate. I walked into my B&M and walked out with 2 8oz bags of Ramsgate and one 8oz Margate ($44 each) not 2 weeks ago. Also a tin of HH Vintage Syrian (2016). Since it's become unobtanium, I didn't mind paying the $20 for the tin.

CW

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stop wasting money on Penzance and start buying GL Pease Quiet Nights. You can thank me later.

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  19. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the end, it doesn't really matter.

Agreed.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always thought Penzance was the C&D Captain Bob's Blend to Margate's Captain Black Grape? Was I misinformed?

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

Pickles taste nothing like cucumbers! No way pickles could have started out as a cucumber, they’re not even in the same league. Gah!

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Pickles taste nothing like cucumbers! No way pickles could have started out as a cucumber, they’re not even in the same league. Gah!

I have heard from multiple reliable sources that pickles used to be cucumbers. All pickles are made by the same farmer that makes cucumbers, they just have a different name now that they have been re-marketed.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

I love GLP Quiet Nights. My B&M just ordered me and 8oz for my cellar.

CW

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have heard from multiple reliable sources that pickles used to be cucumbers. All pickles are made by the same farmer that makes cucumbers, they just have a different name now that they have been re-marketed.

Ahhhh people are a funny breed. Pipe smoking people are an even funnier breed. Gotta love it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Penzance is pickled Margate.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. thedudeabides

thedudeabides

Login to Send PM

Will people soon be trading Penzance for “vintage” Orlik Nightcap? I know, I’m being a wisea$$.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pickles are just pressed cucumbers with a little latakia added.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mmmm.. pickles and Latakia!

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Pickles are just pressed cucumbers with a little latakia added

I think this might be what is in lakeland essence. Mystery solved.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

To each his own. Funny though, I enjoy all those tobacco’s mentioned but Penzance is my favorite of the bunch.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Premal Chheda recently told my friend and co-author Mike Zicha that Penzance is Margate pressed into a crumble cake. My guess is that this is based upon the fact that Smokers' Haven's Krumble Kake was their Our Best Blend (similar to Margate) in crumble cake form. I laid this out in an article in the June 2019 issue of The Pipe Collector, entitled A "Spirited" Battle of English Blends where we examined whether Smokers' Haven Cognac and Esoterica Pembroke were actually the same tobaccos.

Those of you who follow Marty Pulvers' fantastic estate pipe site, pulverspriorbriar.com, will likely soon see Marty roasting Mike and I over our findings. Marty is a smart and witty fellow. His writings are always fun and interesting and well-written, making regular trips to his website well worth the time, even when he's having fun at my expense.

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steve Richman specifically denied, in my presence and that of others at the first show where he distributed samples, that any of the Esoterica blends were “identical” to the Smokers Haven blends. All he ever claimed was that some were “similar.” My memory is that he said that Germain, while not doing business with SH at that time, respected their Intellectual property interest in the development of the recipes and would not make exact duplicates for anybody. There very well might have been some degree of “tweaking” that GLP and the other initial tasters contributed.

The few shops that I recall who really supported Esoterica in the 1990’s sold at least as much Margate as Penzance. Stonehaven moved slowly. After a few years, very few if any shops carried the full line, though if you wanted a bag of St.Ives they would order it. Steve and, later, Mike Butera were pretty flexible with minimum order requirements or so I recall.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Why does this matter so much? They all are whatever they are and they are all fantastic blends. When I get upgraded to first class I don't ask questions about how it happened. I just get on and enjoy the ride.

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

We cracked open a 10 year old tin of Stonehaven today at a Boswells get-together. I'll take Stonehaven over Penzance 10 ways from Sunday. That medicine/menthol flavor doesn't do anything for me.

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Why does this matter so much? They all are whatever they are and they are all fantastic blends.

It really doesn't, except for that 1% who have an interest in the history of pipes and tobaccos. If I had to choose between Premal and GLP for information in this particular instance, I'm more inclined toward GLP for the obvious reason that he was involved in the process as a taster/crash test dummy, and Premal wasn't involved. The people who could answer any of these questions are Germain's, and they aren't talking.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty tight lipped, those Brits on the Isles. And they don't like folks faffing about with their products!

Steve Richman would be another solid source, but even if some Esoterica blends were exact matches to some of Smoker's Haven's, it might have been prudent to not say so.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, cfreud, haparnold, pepesdad1, lawdawg, the85boro, burleyboy, yuda