PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
What are your thoughts on Penzance vs Gaslight. They do smell a lot alike but I haven't smoked enough to make a comparison. What are others thoughts?

Penzance is like an incense that slowly changes flavors as the bowl progresses, sending the latakia to the back and the orientals forward and then slowly coming forward again during the smoke. No noticeable nicotine, just pure flavor, in a church, mass, monks Gregorian chanting and incense burning kind of way. Afterwards your pipes seems cleaner and happy.
Gaslight is a latakia bomb guitar driven explosions that goes off in your mouth with a dirty spray of smokey shrapnel, perique holes splattering your tongue, buzzing B bombers humming filling the air, whistles of latakia dropping carpet bombs of flavor across you tongue, BAM BAM BAM leaving your tongue exhausted and deforested and waving the white flag. The room note is that of burning cardboard. And, my pipes needs to be cleaned as it smells like the butt of a cheroot that was crushed out by a boot in the beer sodden floor of a dive that Mickey Rourke would look for prostitutes in.
Other than that, they are both tobaccos.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't understand the search for the most penzance like blend that isn't penzance. Many say Star of the East is close, but SOTE contains cigar leaf. It's very creamy, like penzance but doesn't taste at all like penzance. If you want penzance, get penzance, don't try to find a penzance match that isn't penzance.

Oh sorry foolwithfez, you want me to be quiet? Sure sure.
If it was suggested by someone that they thought that Penzance and Gaslight were similar, then one could say that any latakia blend was similar, because the ingredients aren't even the same, nor is the flavor. But, maybe to someone who has never smoked Penzance? Or someone who is new to latakia? I can't say as I didn't see the conversation.

But, I will will be quiet now. Sorry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was interested in eventually opening my tin of Gaslight. Yipes, now I'm not so sure. I may have a little Tambolaka instead.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I like Gaslight,But since I only have 1 bag of Penzance cellared I lean on Quite Nights as the nearest equivalence that is readily available. :puffpipe:

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Though quiet nights is different I find it a good substitute if you have to have something close to Penzance. I love quiet nights for its differences vs its similarities. If you want a very close blend with a bit less latika look at Germain's s Special Latika Flake.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Un Oh The Pezance Strikes Back! Give up and go Rumper. Savory Chocolate covered raisins, figs with spice. Nice and hearty :rofl:
I need to crack this tin of Penzance. Trying to let it age a bit. Who knows, wild hair may change that.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Someone mentioned Margate. As time goes by cant even find enough enthusiasm to get Margate out of my cellar soon enough. And if Penzance is anything like Margate then I'll say it's not only all hype but also a comedy as well.
The only benefit I have from never trying Penzance is that I don't really care lmao.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Gaslight is tasty. 'Zance is too. After trying And so to bed, I will say gaslight is closer to that than the 'Zance.

Status
Not open for further replies.