PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
So I've heard all the hype, but this stuff is harder to find than a virgin in Van Nuys. So..... is there something that comes reasonably close? Does such a thing even exist?

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I started a thread with the same topic
Penzance Thread
I got some Plum Pudding, Ten to Midnight, quiet Nights and Bow Legged Bear. So far I've tried Plum Pudding and Ten to midnight and love them both

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have a few bowls of it left, time to reorder soon!!
Tjameson, did you find it to be "oily" or is it just me?

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
The only thing I've found that comes closest to Penzance is Old Ironsides from Dan Tobacco. Unfortunately, its harder to find than Penzance because Dan discontinued it. :(

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I found plum pudding to be slightly oily but it has yet to affect the burn. I rub it out pretty well leaving a few larger chunks and it burns very well until I realize I'm smoking ash...always a good sign :puffy:

I'll also add that among numerous delicious flavors I found in Plum Pudding I got an essence of well cured cherry firewood. We heated my house with wood growing up and I was really surprised to find this flavor in a tobacco.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Ten to midnight is close but there is something different. I couldn't say what but they both are fantastic and probably in my top 5. It's a decent alternative though.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I have the almost perfect substitute. It's called Latikia Flake #9 by Brebbia. I tries it the other day, and I find it is almost as good.
+1
nsfisher has it correct. I am a Penzance fan and the only thing I have tried that comes close is Brebbia Flake #9.
It has a solid place in my cellar!!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I need to open a tin and try this blend again to say for sure, but I remember C&D Bow Legged Bear being one of the blends I've come across in the past that is similar style to Penzance. I have a tin sealed but it's been several years since I've had a bowl unfortunately. One I'll have to add to the short list of my "to open soon" tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.