Tags:  No tags yet. 

Penzance - Meh

(52 posts)
  • Started 8 months ago by exbenedict
  • Latest reply from beefeater33
  1. exbenedict

exbenedict

Login to Send PM

So I have finally gotten hold of some Penzance to try. After smoking a pipe for about two years now, I have wanted to try it and I did not want to pay the exorbitant eBay prices so I patiently waited until I could grab a couple ounces for a reasonable price. After smoking three bowls through a meer and a Peterson Outdoorsman, I can honestly say that I don't see what all the hype is about. It is good, and tasty, and has a nice out of the tin smoky, peppery smell that I like, but as an extravagant hard to find tobacco, I find it meh. If I had to choose a flake to smoke on the regular it would be something different. Just my $0.02 worth.

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I tend to use it as a blender. Just something missing.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 8 months ago #
  3. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try not to write it off just after smoking a few bowls. I've often tried blends that I thought were awful at first only to later find I enjoyed them. Whether it was a change in my taste buds, an aging thing or smoking it in a different pipe/s.

Greg Pease wrote a interesting article about trying new blends and how often you really need to give a specfic blend many tries before 86'ing it. It was a good read.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Q: How many bowls does it take to understand a tobacco?

A: It takes time to really get to know a blend. The first bowl will only give you a glimpse of what the blend has to offer. With continued smoking, you'll begin to discern some of the more subtle characteristics, the nuances of the blend. These nuances are often the things that make the difference between a good tobacco, and a truly great one. Of course, if you hate it upon first light, it's not likely you'll ever grow to love it, unless your tastes change - and that DOES happen. Don't give up on a blend after a single smoke. Put it aside, and come back to it on a different occasion. Expand your horizons! There are a lot of great experiences to be had.

https://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally never understood the love for Penzance. It's just an okay blend to me, but to each his own.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 8 months ago #
  6. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I picked up a tin at my b&m a while back because it was sitting there on the shelf, hen's tooth that it is. One of these days when I come to enjoy latakia, I'll try it.

Tim
    Posted 8 months ago #
  7. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it is quite good. However, were it as plentiful as many other good blends, it would typically be available on the shelves. It was years ago before the "shortage". Try it again in 2 to 4 weeks. Many blends need to settle a bit after having the tin opened to have all the flavors open up.

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It was years ago before the "shortage".

I remember that. That's when I fell in love with Dunbar and Pembroke. With blends like Meridian, Yenidje Highlander, and Peretti's Royal, Penzance just seems a little bland.

Posted 8 months ago #
  9. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve gone through 8 oz of Penzance and some bowls are great some are nothing special. A good blend to be sure, but to my palate it doesn’t live up to the hype. To each his own.

We live in an age of plenty, no need to chase unicorns unless you enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Exbenedict, I’ve had the opposite experience. The first time I tried Penzance it was fantastic. I really noticed a complexity of flavors and was blown away by how good it was. As a regular vaper/virginia flake and plug smoker, I only dabble in the lat blends when the urge strikes. After obtaining a pound + of the ‘zance I cannot seem to find that sublime experience again. Most of my Penzance smokes since that first time, have also been “meh”. I’ve tried different dryness levels, pipes etc.

Not really sure why.

Posted 8 months ago #
  11. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've done the same as jmi208 in the past. I tried a new blend and loved it, smoked down the entire tin in no time. So I ordered 10 tins - only to find out I no longer liked it.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

Penzance is very unique , that’s why I like it . Also the newer penzance seems lacking . It needs age in my opinion, and if you ever come across some from the late or early 90s when it still had Syrian Latakia in it, that’s when it was REALLY good .

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 8 months ago #
  13. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

Penzance, opus cigars, pappys bourbon.....just a tad overrated

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ive frequently been in the company of other fellows smoking it. I think it would be quite nice if they removed the latakia.

Does anyone know of a blend out there that could theoretically be akin to a "Penzance sans latakia"?

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 8 months ago #
  15. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Nothing outside McClelland's lat free Grand Orientals come to mind. Yenice Agonya is a good example.

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m smoking Penzance now. Wonderful blend. It is complex and needs time and experience in many different pipes before it gives up its secrets. The first time I experienced a Nirvana smoke with it I became a convert.

Neal
    Posted 8 months ago #
  17. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy penzance. But not enough to play the reindeer games needed to keep it in stock. I have 2 lbs or so, but would rather smoke SPC Plum Pudding.

Posted 8 months ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the stuff. But not as much as Margate, weighing in cost to acquire as part of the equation.

Note to haters: All Esotericas I have tried are packed very wet. Over 90% RH @ 70º. Plenty drying time recommended, esp for flakes.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Note to haters: All Esotericas I have tried are packed very wet. Over 90% RH @ 70º. Plenty drying time recommended, esp for flakes.

I never smoke anything straight from the tin or jar and Penzance just isn't a standout for me. Margate, Presbyterian, Sasieni, Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue, and Yenidje Highlander stand far above it when I want something with latakia.

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried Penzance, but it is certainly mentioned a lot. I do give extra points for blends that are produced in quantities to meet the demand and well distributed. Be that as it may, I think many blends have to be cultivated a while before their appeal reveals itself. Some have instant appeal for many, but I have found a number have to be smoked tentatively for a while before their magic occurs to me.

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are blends that I hate, some even piss me off. But, I have never hated something so badly that I went on every thread that mentions it and posted how I don't like it. That takes a lot of work.

Michael
    Posted 8 months ago #
  22. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right now I am smoking St. Bernard Flake, which was pretty shitty when I smoked it fresh, so I threw the jar in the darkest corners of my storage and voila 2 years of stewing around and its perfect !!

Age the stuff, its shitty otherwise.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Age the stuff, its shitty otherwise.

I have some from eleven years ago. No improvement.

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love that I have some dry, good aged Penzance. I give it to every pipe smoker I meet who hasn't tried it yet. I don't care enough to worry about getting more, so I get new junkies hooked on it and hunting for it so they leave the more readily available tobaccos alone and don't drive my price up and availability down.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Between Penzance and SPC Plum Pudding Reserve I prefer SPC Plum Pudding Reserve.

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I smoked a few bowls of Penzance, thanks to a generous forum member who posted in this thread already. It's a very smooth Balkan style blend, better than any I've had. I will say that I like Russ's H&H White Knight almost as much, and it's readily available, unlike the Esoterica blends.

Posted 8 months ago #
  27. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ChasingEmbers Oh bummer Duane !! I've been proven wrong then, lol. I have a few bags of Margate simmering since 2014 but still havent secured Penzance at MSRP.

Posted 8 months ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It makes a great mixer for caramel or chocolate aros though, so no loss! Aged Margate is great!

Posted 8 months ago #
  29. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For those interested, I called Uhles today in Wisconsin, they don't have Penzance or Stonehaven, but they do have some other Esoterica blends in tins and bags.

Posted 8 months ago #
  30. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jpm nailed it. Penzance is a fine blend but Margate is my favorite Eso. And yes, all their blends are very damp and require plenty of dry time. I only say this now that my cellar is saturated with Margate.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  31. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After trying Penzance I decided I no longer want others opinion on anything tobacco/pipe related and set off on my own adventure of discovery.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 8 months ago #
  32. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Penzance is the schizzanz.

Posted 8 months ago #
  33. loomongous

loomongous

Login to Send PM

Penzance is delicious. I will gladly take any that anybody wants to give me.

Posted 8 months ago #
  34. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only ET blend I like is Penz. Price is of no concern for me as I love the stuff. Thank you scalpers.The rest of ET's blends? No thanks.

Stonehaven on a very rare occasion.

There's only 2 blends where I love the aftertaste, the leftover smell on my stash' and the room-note, Penz and Bengal Slices

Posted 8 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

franklyn22

Login to Send PM

I've had the same experience. It's like that with any hobby really. There is always some "unicorn" that people are chasing because of it's rarity but when you finally get ahold of it, it's a big let down. I went through this just last weekend with bourbon. I was fascinated by the single barrel variety ever since I visited the Buffalo Trace Distillery and started looking for Blanton's. It is easier to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I pretty much lost all hope of ever trying a bottle when my local store gets in about 6 bottles (1 case) twice a year and he has about a 4 page long waiting list.

Then for no particular reason, I was traveling to my brother-in-law's house the other day and wanted to pick up some beer. I stopped at literally a highway truck stop liquor store in the middle of nowhere in the nearest town to his home (he lives in the boonies) and they had 2 bottles of Blanton's sitting on the shelf for normal price. Needless to say I bought both of them. When I finally cracked it open with my brother-in-law, it was really good bourbon but not really any better than anything else in that price range. So to each his own I guess.

What I learned from all of this is to never chase the unicorns. I just wait and if I come across the opportunity to buy it under normal prices and conditions, I will happily try it but I won't pay ebay prices for the unicorns anymore.

Posted 8 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

In my esoterica thread many people said they buy esoterica just to make sure others will not get it. So shortages bring out the worst in human nature basically. I still wasnt able to find anything because I live in Australia and the drops happen at 4 am and local BMs only hold over the counter aromatics.

Posted 8 months ago #
  37. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Penzance is a very nice tobacco, and I rather enjoy it; however, I've been saying for years its the most overrated tobacco ever. While I enjoy it, it's not worth the hassle of trying to hunt it down on every website and/or B&M shop. It's especially not worth the amount of money people buy/sell for on ebay.

If you come across a tin at regular price, grab it but don't waste your time hunting all over for it. It's good but not that good.

Posted 8 months ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

In my esoterica thread many people said they buy esoterica just to make sure others will not get it.

You may want to re-read that thread. Many posts on how to find it, not buying it up so no one can get it.

Esoterica people

Posted 8 months ago #
  39. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I think it is quite good.

My goodness you're fickle.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/esoterica-people/page/3#post-1260756

Posted 8 months ago #
  40. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

I haven't found one Esoterica line tobacco that I liked, the J.F.Germain & Son tobaccos rule though.

Posted 8 months ago #
  41. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Penzance is not bad...kinda like it, but there certainly other blends that are just as good if not better. Certainly not worth getting getting worked up to get. IMO. (which ain't worth that much)

Posted 8 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

ember

Login to Send PM

My experience with Penzance , I had an old timer give me some from a baggie he brought to a piper get together . The tobacco was so dried out it had a gray look to it , also it was very beat up the tobacco was in tiny peebles but that stuff was amazing to smoke
    I have 2 oz of new Penzance in a jar and a new tin stashed away just hoping that this stuff will age so I can find what the old timer gave me because right now this isn't it

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My goodness you're fickle.

Not in the least. I didn't call Uhle's for Penzance. At the time, I called to see if they had any Cornell & Diehl Carolina Red Virginia Flake. The sales guy took it upon himself to rattle off what other blends they had. I was simply passing along the esoterica info to those who are looking.

Posted 7 months ago #
  44. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Penzance is no longer in my top 10, I doubt that it is in my top 20.

I think it is quite good.

I was picking at you for the difference between the two comments.

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't understand why some folks feel the need to expound on what they don't like.

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was picking at you for the difference between the two comments

What's the difference? There's at least 50 to 75 blends I enjoy smoking. If I enjoy it, it's reasonable to consider it at least good if not quite good. However, if it provides you enjoyment to pick at me, I'm pleased to have added to your day.

Posted 7 months ago #
  47. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Wow, was trying to have a little fun with you.

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me too. Don't be so sensitive. Our overly sensitive. If I were angry with you, I'd let you know without being subtle about it. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't understand some people not liking others who say they don't like something.

Posted 7 months ago #
  50. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And saying it over and over and over and over and.........

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

At least nobody mentioned Hitler. Damn! I just did.

Javan
    Posted 7 months ago #
  52. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like Penzance, or Dunhills............. I grow Bonsai in my Dunhills...., put my Penz in the garden for fertilizer.. Dwaine is the ultimate DoooooooooooooooooD!! Only Black Frigate for me!.......

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   fishfly, pianopuffer, pipingfool, husky, dmcmtk, folanator, shayde, mawp, cigrmaster, mikethompson, pappymac, gandalfspipe, gatorlope, jaytex969