PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
There have been some discussion as to whether Penzance and other blends, especially by Esoterica, are over-hyped. In brief, my answer is yes.
I received a generous sample of Penzance from an equally generous member and have smoked Penzance regularly for a few days. I agree that Penzance is a very fine tobacco. The tactile feel and appearance of the broken flake is equaled by no other tobacco. It smokes beautifully and offers a subtle profile. The Latakia is present, whispering in the background.
However, I've smoked many other tobaccos that are just as gratifying. Last night, I decided to compare Penzance and GL Pease Quiet Nights back-to-back. I loaded a MM General with QN and thoroughly enjoyed the blend. It burnt well, requiring no relights, as usual. The jar aroma was rich. I smoked half a bowl, then set it down, and loaded Penzance into a MM Patriot.
It was also a very fine smoke. But it wasn't as rich nor had the depth of flavor of QN. I'm surprised to say that in my one back-to-back comparison, I was preferring QN over Penzance. After finishing the bowl of Penzance, I went back to the QN and finished the bowl. My Opnion didn't change. At least for the one night, in that environment, I chose QN over Penzance.
I am not saying that QN was better than Penzance. They are both exceptional blends. My preference was just a matter of personal taste. I'm not saying they're the same. But they are different blends in the same family, like Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra and Fat Head's Head Hunter are different beers but are both IPA brews.
And for my tastes, if I want a light, well balanced, English blend with Latakia, that satisfies my like Penzance, I would reach for Squadron Leader and be as satisfied.
So, in summary, there may not be an equivalent to Penzance but there many just as good in the English Family - maybe a lot just as good. There are about 300 English blends on the market containing Latakia,Oriental/Turkish, and Virginia tobaccos, and about 50 come in flakes, broken flakes, plugs or kakes.
So, if I stumble across an opportunity to purchase Penzance at a reasonable price, I'll still jump on it. But I'm no longer going to spend a lot of time searching for it like Ahab for the White whale.
Pax

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
brass, Thanks for the comparison review. I have yet to try Penzance, and have wondered if I should put more effort into getting some. From the sounds of it, I can just wait for the hype to fade.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Ha now all the gl pease quiet nights is backordered! But very great point the hype outweighs what's readily available and shouldn't. Penzance is still being made just not as fast as most would like. I don't see paying a high price for something that is not discontinued. Now if it's some pappy van winkle we will talk.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Noah's Mill used to be as good as Pappy's at 1/2 the price. But, sadly, what they're releasing as Noah's Mill now is very much not what it used to be.
Good to hear Quiet Nights is just as satisfying. I have some but haven't gotten around to trying it yet...and I'm out of empty jars so it will have to wait. Restraint is hard.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I honestly have never had pappys just a real rarity. I have a far better chance of getting some penzance before I ever see pappy lol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually prefer C&D's Pirate Kake and Star of the East to the much and overly celebrated Penzance.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Amen Pax ... there are many good ones out there to rival the esoteric blends.

I agree with the already listed QN, SOTE, and PK and will add these to the list:
JF Germain Special Latakia Flake

Brebbia Latakia Flake #9

McClelland Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake

H&H Ten to Midnight

SPC Plum Pudding

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I just had the pleasure of smoking few bowls of Penzance, and would like to have more to get to know it better, so like so many of us I have my eyes out for it. I don't have the time or experience with this as many of you, but I found it to be rich, but a refined medium bodied smoke, very nice flavors, kind of darkly leathery and sweet, but with a restrained Latakia. Very easy to smoke, burns nicely and the flavors grow and it gets a little floral as the bowl burns down. Very nice, but the two bowls I had did not blow me away as SOTE did. I recently went through a quest for St. Bruno because my dad smoked it a lot and it's lore and legend. It was very nice, but I am very happy smoking ODF.

Without a doubt, Penzance is very fine, but I would like to know how much of the love for it is tied to supply and demand? I do not mean that cynically, but people do seem to be knocking down the doors for something that is hard to find. Also, was there a time when it was more plentiful and if so was there as much love directed to it when it was easy to get?

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I would advise against trying to find a different blend that "matches" the one you are looking for.
Taking a suggestion based on if you like blend "X" you should try "Y" is alright, but looking for a substitute to live up to "X" will never happen because different blends are just that...different.
Not only that, when you are smoking said substitute your mind is going to be looking for similarities and differences from blend "X"; in reality you should be looking at how good or bad the substitute blend stands on its own.
This is just my opinion, but I think a lot of people miss out on enjoying really good blends because they are comparing them to something that they are not. Worst is when they give negative reviews to the blend because it didn't live up to that expectation, just because a blend doesn't taste exactly like another does not make it a lesser blend. (I feel this turning into a soapbox on reviews so I am going to cut it short here)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Just communicated many of the same thoughts expressed in this thread to Kane in a PM. We're fortunate in the States to have access to so many wonderful, affordable and easy to find smokes all of us Lat goons should be sporting a constant grin.
On a similar thought I read recently that Old Forester bourbon was once owned by Pappy Van Winkle and that it still holds true to his original wheated formula. I've no idea how they compare and would be interested if anybody has an opinion. (Would have to think OF is more accessible than PVW.)
Fnord

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Subjectively speaking, for some smokers, Penzance has no equals. But that is a matter of taste. Good taste maybe, but still a matter of personal preference. Other smokers, just as legitimately, claim that their favorite blend has no equals: Escudo, Pirate Kake, Squadron Leaders, Balkan Sobranie, Prince Albert, and Carter Hall smokers also have loyal aficionados that for them, has no equals.
Objectively speaking, however, there are many blends the equal of Penzance. Penzance ingredients are of no higher quality than most premium blends, and the skill of the Esoterica blenders, no better than many others master blenders. I've yet to hear a convincing objective argument that proves Penzance superior to other blends. I am convinced that for some Penzance smokers, it can't be replaced. For my tastes, it has many equals.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
point taken-however there are many products made with the same ingredients that vary greatly in quality/taste.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Penzanace is a quality blend, but not one that I like. The reason that I have Penance from 2006 is that I dislike the profile and didn't find it worth smoking. So it's been sitting in the closet. I bring some to my pipe club meetings so that others who love it can enjoy it and take some home, but I don't smoke it myself. I have other blends that I much prefer. It's a matter of taste.

And before anyone asks, I'm not selling it off. I enjoy sharing it with fellow pipers from time to time. My way to slip the bird to the hoarders.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've got some 2005 Penzance I'm working through right now. I agree: Quiet Nights and Gaslight sort of fill that full latakia void for me. If I want more Virginias, I go for Quiet Nights. More orientals, Gaslight. When the Penzance is gone, I won't be heartbroken. It's great but there are others.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I really enjoyed some pirate kake recently great lat on that. Right now working through 2oz of spc plum pudding also very good stuff. I have some gas light I haven't opened yet I still have so many tins to work through. I don't see penzance being worth the price of admission. As was said in a previous thread pipe clubs are the best options to sample these esoterica blends and really I am a ok with that. I just don't get the esoterica frenzy though I have noticed people buying up their blends. I mean just because they had two big hits stonehaven and penzance does not mean all the blends are just as good.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Objectively speaking, however, there are many blends the equal of Penzance

There is no such thing as objectivity when discussing such matters. This is totally subjective. Please do not pretend otherwise. I enjoy reading reviews that can help give me a sense of a tobacco's flavor and even compare and contrast those flavors to other tobaccos and tell me which you prefer. But there is nothing quantifiable here, so therefore it is SUBJECTIVE. For the record I smoke Penzance and Quiet Nights and enjoy both immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.