PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
This week I met Booker and his wife and son on the riverfront in Washington in front of the Missouri Meerschuam building. He had most generously offered to gift me a bag of eight year old Penzance. When we met he also gave me a sample from an opened bag to try out. (it was my first Penzance) I enjoyed the smoke even more than I thought I would, and now I'm leaning toward opening the bag, and jarring it to use until a new bag becomes available online. (at a reasonable price) :puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Not to sound too morbid but what guarantees do you have that you or the Penzance will be around to smoke it in 5 more years? And I suspect that the aging process has already exceeded the point of diminishing returns...
And let's not under estimate the value of immediate gratification. :lol:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
8 ounces is a good start, why wait? Those bags age nicely so don't open it unless you're going to smoke it.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I say Smoke it..I aged some Penzance for 5 years.To be honest I didn't notice much improvement..That's just my opinion and others will probably differ.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Decision made, the aroma is so rich. I'm smoking my first bowl from the bag now. Cheers!
img_0630-600x400.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
The blend does change with age. The latakia, as you would expect, mellows and the virgina gets sweeter. This is not a bad thing in my book, but if you are a huge latakia guy, you may prefer it on the younger side. Some also say that the orientals in the blend provide more zing when young, but I have actually found plenty of nuanced zing in older Penzance. Zing, of course, is a technical term that will be the subject of a future post.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Booker is a prince among men!!! He oh so graciously ruined me for most other tobacco and now I try to horde it like a fiend. My expectations also were quite high yet it still exceeded them in every way.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Krumble Kake makes salivate, that looks beautiful. Makes me wish I could get my hands on some Kingfisher!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A nice gesture, karma will reward you Booker. Enjoy that Penzance and turn on your smoking buddies if there's any nearby.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Wow, that picture looks absolutely delicious! Enjoy you some Penzance. :puffy:

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Glad to see you opened it! I was coming in to suggest just that. I don't think it's going to change that much with any additional aging at this point. That stuff was made to be smoked! I have some Penzance from 2007 as well and it's great stuff. I've had it fresh and had it with years of age on it and it's all good. It's still got that "Penzance thing" no matter when you smoke it.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Gorgeous! Yeah, definitely start enjoying it. With 8 years on it, you'll have to let us know about the flavors.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
ok, i'm drooling now. i would really like to try some! now! but, where to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.