PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
I just scored two tins of rectangle Penzance sitting dusty on a shelf at a Lotto store. It has the batch number of 6034. Can I get some help from anybody that has older tins cellered that they dated close to those batch numbers, so i can get an approximate year these tins are from. Appreciate the help.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The square tins came out about 2 years ago. It will be either 2016 or 2017. Your tins are fairly recent stock. Congrats! Great score.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
I offered 15$ for both tins, he gladly accepted, they were on the same shelf as Snicker Bars in a Lotto Store, they didnt even have any other pipe tobacco. Its a real unbelievable story

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
After googling i found some other guy had batch 1034 on a different forum, he said it was 2001 that he dated. Im thinking these are prob 2008ish

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
After googling i found some other guy had batch 1034 on a different forum, he said it was 2001 that he dated. Im thinking these are prob 2008ish

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have some Penzance tins circa 2010-2011 but I am staying in a different city so I can't check for you!
I have recently opened two approximately 10 year old Kingfisher tins of the same style made by Germain that was completely rusted on the inside despite being safely stored. I'd say you are quite lucky for your tobacco to be in such great shape if it is indeed that old.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
The one tin that i opened in the pick held some seal. The Blend was dry, but not dusty. It was actually at the perfect level for smoking. Not much rust on these tins, but the paper was very dark, and protected the flakes from contact with the tin. I was actually surprised not to see so much plume on them as others have had with bag versions. I do remember Npods opening of an older tin, and he did not have much plume either.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Yes, I can see the tin held its integrity quite nicely. My wrappers were incredibly dark and oily also. The aging process is fairly mysterious! It is hard to account for major variations...

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Seems like the picture disappeared for some reason, im going to re post it, in case it can help with dating the tin somehow.
IMG_0373.jpg
[/URL][/img]

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Mid 2000 is accurate. Those are the fuzzy print butera labels . Score of a lifetime there, pipestud sells these for around $125 each !

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice photo. But fotofuket tends to hide pix after awhile unless you pay them.....
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, (including this site's album) such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Thank you jpmcwjr for that info, i have been struggling with pictures. I will do.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Steamboat, I misread your original post. I thought you said "square" tins. Those above are obviously rectangular and likely from around 2007 based on the shape they are in. Enjoy that aged Penzance my friend. It will be mellow compared to newer tins, but I love and prefer it that way.
Here is a tin I opened this year in 2018 from original date of 2007, code 6093. Your tobacco is pretty dry and dark compared to the tin below from the same year with good seal and moisture, you can see the lighter tobaccos clearly.

cS4mMzN.jpg

expCBYK.jpg

KCPyQUj.jpg

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
I live on Long Island and i ride motorcycles. Long Island is the suburbs of New York City, there are about 1000 tobacco/bodega shops in 150 mile stretch. Instead of joy riding, i printed out pages of lotto stores from google, and plug a new one into my gps on the bike every time i go for a ride. Today i just scored again. What i found today in Suffolk County was a tin of McClelland Oriental 14 which is dated from 140603. I am guessing its from 2003. I offered the guy 10$ for the tin, and yet again he smiled and gladly accepted.
][/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.