PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Really? Good luck buddy.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Penzance-Esoterica-pipe-collectors-/181423115046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3da90b26&_uhb=1

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Okay who is the other watcher? The seller has 100% positive feedback so maybe he knows something we don't... Hope a bidding war ensures because I have that same bag! Woohoo!

May 31, 2012
His last bag went for much less...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Penzance-Esoterica-pipe-collectors-/181400043974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c4901c6

:?
He's asking crazy money for the shiny gold collectible, a real pirate he is. :lol:

8fee6b21c5bc9399a49edb0e9b6263ae.jpg

It seems that some Esoterica hits these shores around this time of year,

maybe soon for full shelves...

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Imagine how easy it would be to buy some otc english, print off a scan of a penzance label, and heat seal it in a white bag. I think I'm in the wrong line of work...

Dec 24, 2012
Here's my favourite part of the description:

This is a very collectible package that is shiny gold in color. Not available in stores. For collecting purposes only. Not for consumption.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
He has 100% feedback- I checked some of his other auctions and noticed he had sold some pink Victoria Secrets panties as well as other items of a feminine nature...If I were to speculate, I might guess that we have a cross-dressing gentleman with a penchant for English tobaccos who has either decided to embrace religion or join the Marine Corps and shed all remnants of his previous life....

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
He has 100% feedback- I checked some of his other auctions and noticed he had sold some pink Victoria Secrets panties as well as other items of a feminine nature...If I were to speculate, I might guess that we have a cross-dressing gentleman with a penchant for English tobaccos who has either decided to embrace religion or join the Marine Corps and shed all remnants of his previous life....
+1, nice zack, lol.
Peck, i too saw this listing over the past week and every time it pops up when i'm on ebay i want to find the seller and punch him right in his face. That is utterly hilarious to try and get 10 times the retail value for a blend that, although rare and a bit challenging to find, is still very much in production and available if you look hard enough. But like others have said, there is an ass to fill every seat, so i wouldn't be surprised to see some dumbass kook actually spend $300 f'ing dollars on an 8oz. bag of tobacco, still in production.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Why all the hate? He's offering to ship internationally and who doesn't love that?
I'm joking of course. I'll pass on this one. If someone does buy it? They should be 302'd.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Dear Peck: aren't you a resident 'free markets = free people' guy? I get that you're just criticizing his price point, but surely there is someone out there to whom Penzance is worth $150 a bag, like his last one was posted for.
But yes, for $300, I'll buy two pounds each of Chelsea Morning and Union Square, and a pound of Gaslight, two thousand pipe cleaners, and be good for a year.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
A lot of ebay sellers will have a second account or a buddy who will "buy" something from them to help establish a price point. Of course no money exchanges hands, it's just to give the illusion people are paying that much. That and shill bidding are common tools used by those trying to fleece less educated buyers.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I'm starting to not pay much attention to those 100% feedback ratings. BTW, Dave Egger's The Circle should be required reading for everyone.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
A lot of ebay sellers will have a second account or a buddy who will "buy" something from them to help establish a price point. Of course no money exchanges hands, it's just to give the illusion people are paying that much. That and shill bidding are common tools used by those trying to fleece less educated buyers.
You still have to pay ebay fees.
There is probably a sucker out there somewhere...

Dec 24, 2012
Dear Peck: aren't you a resident 'free markets = free people' guy? I get that you're just criticizing his price point, but surely there is someone out there to whom Penzance is worth $150 a bag, like his last one was posted for.
Just because you believe in a free market doesn't mean you can't criticize what people are asking for their goods and services. He has the right to ask it and I have the right to laugh at him for doing so. I do the same thing when I go to the auto show every year, lol.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
There was a another thread roughly titled "How much is too much?" This would be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.