PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Yay! The notification alert came through. Was going to get a bag of Penzance along with the 2 tins of Sobranie ..... I messed around and went to get some more stuff, and the Penzance was already out. So I settled for the two tins ... :puffy:

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
13 minutes from the in sock notification email to sold out on the Penzance. That is ridiculous!

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Meanwhile on eBay :crazy:
35a92xs.png

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I don't think that I'll be dropping $35 bucks on a small tin of any tobacco. I have 8OZ jarred up and I would like the tin but I guess I'll wait it out. And be quicker on the draw.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Uh-oh...I usually get an update email when the order is packed then one when it has shipped. Have received nothing since order confirmation.......hmmmmmm

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Meanwhile on eBay
35a92xs.png
I'd like to shoot the a-hole who buys up hard to find tobacco only to re-sale....But i'd REALLY like to shoot the a-hole who buys it second-hand at 400% mark-up!

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
I believe that auction ended around $46... absurd. And I agree, there are some less than savory people out there. I can understand holding onto tins for 10+ years and charging a markup because time is money and there is nothing like properly aged tobacco, but this is downright wrong.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I can understand holding onto tins for 10+ years and charging a markup because time is money and there is nothing like properly aged tobacco, but this is downright wrong.
Oh, I definitely agree. Selling a vintage tobacco is much different.
On another note... is Pembroke the Esoterica blend with french cognac? I think I wanted to try that one

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
is Pembroke the Esoterica blend with french cognac
Yes, it is, and a very fine baccy at that. Still haven't tried the version without cognac ( Margate ) but I believe it to be just as good.
usually get an update email when the order is packed then one when it has shipped. Have received nothing since order confirmation
Neither have I. Maybe they are busy shipping out all the Penzance and Sobranie .... I'll have to check the bank and see if they took the $$$ or just put a hold on it. It would suck if they put me on backorder :puffpipe:

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Kabash-
Flipping tobacco for profit is in no way wrong. It is business in a (pseudo) free market economy driven by supply and demand. For all you know, some guy may be putting food on the table for his family by flipping those tins. I have heard lots of sentiments against selling for profit since I joined this forum, and I am quite over it. The shop you buy tobacco from is definitely making a profit, and it is no different for a private seller, provided any laws and regulations are met. I guess I am trying to say I would rather live free or die.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Flipping tobacco for profit is in no way wrong. It is business in a (pseudo) free market economy driven by supply and demand. For all you know, some guy may be putting food on the table for his family by flipping those tins. I have heard lots of sentiments against selling for profit since I joined this forum, and I am quite over it. The shop you buy tobacco from is definitely making a profit, and it is no different for a private seller, provided any laws and regulations are met. I guess I am trying to say I would rather live free or die
I don't think anyone said it was wrong. I just think it's stupid; there's no value added in the flip, he isn't a market maker.
Also...the market for flipped tobacco isn't driven by supply and demand as much as a quantity restriction, where guys like that take advantage of a higher willingness to pay (retailers typically do not). Quantity Supplied and quantity demanded aren't allowed to move towards equilibrium like they would in a plain shortage scenario. In short, it's an inefficient market set-up, maybe a failure, since resources aren't allocated as efficiently as possible.
Tobacco shop sellers and private sellers who engage in gouging, then, are much different. So I'll stick with the more efficient markets, not ebay flippers.
But dude, I'm all with you on profits and free markets.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
I disagree, I think it's detestable. As I said before, if someone has the patience and self-control to age the tobacco themselves it is worth the price premium AND they deserve to make the few bucks that they do. But by buying up and selling a tobacco that is not discontinued, exceptionally rare, or "collectible" not only are they abusing the tobacco rules of eBay, but they are doing the whole community a disservice (not to mention I doubt that seller is a licensed tobacco seller so laws and regulations go out the window in this case, but I could be wrong).
On a side note, if flipping a small quantity of tins is how someone intends to support their family I would recommend for them to get off eBay and pick up the employment section for a much steadier and higher-paying job choice. Of course I can't rewrite the laws of economics so as long as there is someone willing to pay that ridiculous bill then people like this will always be around and it will only get harder for the rest of us to get low-stock tobacco for our own enjoyment.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
so as long as there is someone willing to pay that ridiculous bill then people like this will always be around and it will only get harder for the rest of us to get low-stock tobacco for our own enjoyment

That is absolutely true, and is the reason why I won't support anyone doing that

Status
Not open for further replies.