PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
According to the instagram account of www.tobaccopipes.com Penzance and Balkan Sobranie will be available tomorrow. $18 for Balkan Sobranie tin, $16.80 for Penzance tin and $43.20 for the bag. And there will be a limit of two per customer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting, especially as a perusal of their site indicates that they don't carry Esoterica or Balkan Sobranie. Not that I care, I've got stacks of both and don't smoke either. But if the announcement is a fake, it's a mean spirited one.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hope you don't mind my asking...but if you don't smoke it; why have it?
With the Balkan Sobranie, I bought a small pile of it when it was readily available, because I had really enjoyed the blend years ago. Then I opened a tin and got a nasty surprise. So I'm stuck with what I bought. Besides, there's always the possibility that it will improve with a few years on it. But it's also a good trade item, and I've gifted a few tins to people who like it but can't find it.
As for the Penzance, there's always the possibility that I'll try it again down the road and find something in it that I'm not finding now. But the major reasons are that I enjoy sharing it with others who can't ever find any due to the frantic hoarders, and it's a good item to have for a possible trade. I regularly bring it to my pipe club meetings to share with those who enjoy it.
You can't share what you don't have.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I had a hunch. The thought you may be using it for something other than smoking did occur though. For all I know....Penzance may be good bait, make for a good snack, cure arthritis, or relieve hemorrhoids. :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you really want to find it, follow Harris' advice and get on the phone and call B&M's with no Internet presence. It's out in the wild. Go hunting. Otherwise, enjoy the many splendors of available blends and forget about Unicorns.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Sable....I was brought an old opened tin of Balkan Sobranie a long time ago. The tin is grey/normal lid if I recall correctly. Any way for me to date it?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Posting a photo of the tin might be a good start!
And, what Jesse said re B+M's- I found a bag of Penzance in the desert today! Well, in a pipe shop located in the desert. Had to buy it, and it was at fair retail.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Sable, I have never smoked Penzance or Balkan Sobranie and I am not a fan either. As I have always said, there are thousands of other blends out there to try. Just seeing the popularity of those blends in the forums, I wanted to give a heads-up to the fellow pipers. Good luck :)
s0zLD7T.jpg

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to be up all night hitting the refresh button every 30 seconds.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Posting a photo of the tin might be a good start!
Too late at night to dig it out and take a picture :)
I dated it, 1980's-present. Unfortunately...too lazy to take a picture.
Thanks Sable

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just tried the direct link to Jon's article and it didn't work. You will be able to access it through this page (fingers crossed:
The Dutch Pipe Smoker - Balkan Sobranie
Scroll down a little more than halfway until you come to the section entitled "The New Balkan Sobranie". In the first paragraph you will find a hotlink to Jon's article. It's very thorough, and that's where I would start.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The dating may be wrong. The tin type, completely off. Even the image looks a bit different. I'll post up pics later after I've read in a much more suitable state of mind.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Cool. Sable, you have fair mind and heart. I haven't had any in a little while, but Penzance falls short for me, a very odd plastic, over processed taste I have mentioned before. By the way guys, the briar shoppe here in Houston, Texas has some of the 2oz tins for sale around 18 dollars I think...the number is easy enough to find and they do ship I believe. Like most places they will limit you to one.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
Guess the Instagram was true. Penzance already out of stock...Balkan S still available.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
This is because the site never carried these items before and they will be available tomorrow once the in stock is updated. I like tobaccopipes.com a ton very fast on delivery just probably griped the last year about the tobacco selections being limited, but this is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.