PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
After the recent post by Jesse titled, "Look CAREFULLY Before You Leap" (http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/look-carefully-before-you-leap), I felt the need to rummage through my cellar and inspect my very old tins. I found this 11 year old Penzance tin from 2007 that was looking worse for wear. So I decided to pop it open and see for myself what the tobacco looked like. In summary, no problems. It was perfectly moist and smoked beautifully. The high notes were still intact, albeit faint. I thought ya'll might like to see pictures of the process. I guess not all rusted tins are duds, but the advice to look carefully before you buy is still very good indeed.
dnJua4u.jpg

expCBYK.jpg

cS4mMzN.jpg

nygluRH.jpg

PoSvYTz.jpg

KCPyQUj.jpg

yYQYiWU.jpg

tyobFbf.jpg

fkQPEEC.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
And now for something completely different!
Mix aged Penzance (or any Latakia crumble cake variant) with Rattray's Exotic Orange and enjoy Nirvana.
LWUIDsy.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Very cool. I did a tasting here (sharing an old tin with the forum members) and it was a 10 year old tin I believe. Looked just like that. It was very good, but I'm not a Penzance lover. Enjoy!!

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I cannot stop staring at that nice tray. I like that, a dedicated smoking tray, and you can pour the spill back into the jar.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I cannot stop staring at that nice tray. I like that, a dedicated smoking tray, and you can pour the spill back into the jar.

It is the Pipe Valet by Kraig Seder, http://sedercraft.com. He hasn't had any available for purchase for a while, but you can contact him to see if he will be doing a run in the future. I cherish mine!
Wonderful pics by the way.

As a photographer I am amazed at the quality of the new iPhone 8 Plus. That little camera produces wonderful images and the ones above are straight out of camera with no sharpening or post-editing.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Glad you opened that tin. Doesn't look like it would have went for much longer.
Some of those rectangular tins (Penzance, Kingfisher) were the worst for keeping a good seal.

Had a brand new tin of Kingfisher slide off the car seat onto floorboard once when returning from my B&M. The lid popped right off. LOL.
Lovely pipe, btw. Is it a Rattray Old Perth?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The EO + Penzance was a spoof guys. In the Vein of Monty Python’s flying circus.

different.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
LOL keen sense of humor, I had to read it a second time to get it. Duuuuuh
No joking. Tried to trade that bag for some Deep Hollow with no takers. The 1-Q makes it smokable.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Lovely pipe, btw. Is it a Rattray Old Perth?

That is a handmade cutty from Suhr Pipes (Johannes, Grandson of Anne Julie). It was one of his first professional pipes sold at danishpipeshop.com. It's a beauty!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great photo essay! Super pipe and tray.
A two year old tin of Penzance which had a lot of bloom on it (a bit more than I see above), the paper was quite dark, but the tin was in better shape. Lost a bunch of tin note, but smokes just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.