PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am relatively new to tobacco pipe. So far I like particularly the English/Balkan/Oriental blends. I am curious to figure out how it is Penzace which has so high ratings (unclear to me if part of it is just related to its rarity).

Of the tobaccos I have the ones which are more similar on paper to Penzace are the McClelland Tudor Castle and the McClelland 3 oaks Syrian. Anyone who has these ones and Penzace can comment if there some similarities between them and Penzace or are they completely different? Just trying to figure out how it is Penzace.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Terribly sorry for intrusion, but if you like English/Balkan/Oriental blends, although I am just a noob, may I humbly recommend Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake and Peretti's Oriental 40.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Tudor Castle is nothing like Penzance. It's great, but it's a virginia/Periqe blend (sweet/spicy) with a touch of oriental (depth of flavor and a little zest in this case). Penzance is smoky and smooth, TC is punchy and sweet.
Current production a little closer to Penz: Old Ironsides from Dan.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Almost all Latakia blends look similar on paper, and often they are similar, but it's the differences that matter. Penzance really is as good as people say. I don't smoke Latakia blends very often, because I don't usually enjoy them, but Penzance is a pretty unique and special blend. The smoothness and depth of flavor are unlike anything else I've ever had from a Latakia blend. And the Oriental component is lightly sweet and fragrant.
Three Oaks Syrian is much sweeter, has a more prominent VA component and the Syrian Latakia really shines. Very different from Penzance, but fairly unique in its own right.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Thank you/ The info of pitchfork is what I am looking for. So trying to define more Three Oaks Syrian has a stronger Syrian Latakia component and Penzance stronger Oriental component or am I wrong?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I haven't tried TC or 3OS yet (got some, just haven't gotten around to popping them open yet), but I agree with Chasing that Lancer's is close. I also find Bengal Slices to be close and I've always thought the combination of Lancer's and Plum Pudding may just nail it...might get around to trying it sometime. The one thing missing in Lancer's is the barbecue-y smokiness that Penzance has.

Status
Not open for further replies.