Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Seems like my last post rubbed some people the wrong way. I can see how curiosity killed the cat now. Hopefully this post inspires the right kind of dialogue.
To continue my earlier question about exclusively matching a pipe to a blend, more specifically I asked what would be best for my Castello Sea Rock Lovat (foolishly thinking there might've been a definitive answer), sadly that question has not been answered yet. But in the process another one has. One of the many serendipitous moments of this hobby I suppose.
A penguin pair found! It's like they were made for each out.
RbcMZTwl.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Nice pipe, but I wouldn't touch the tobacco. I don't like latakia.
After the last pipe show, I had to build a second pipe rack. I probably have over 70 jars of tobacco. The logistics of matching a pipe to a blend would require a spreadsheet at this point. Instead, I match a pipe to a type of tobacco, aromatic or VAPER or English ect. Any blend with deertounge should have it's own pipe, since it ghosts.
If you smoke Meers or clays then don't worry about what you put in it. Those pipes don't ghost.

Jun 23, 2019
@alaskapiper - yup! that's the one. I can't tell if the bottom of the pipe is stamped "66 L" or "1 99" but yes essentially its an XL 55 and it is just wonderful. Let's just say I've since bought a week-long set from Marco. What a gentleman, such a joy to deal with.
@winston - yes, the meers are fantastic for this. I suppose I'm going for more of a sentimental/spiritual approach as opposed to a strictly practical one I suppose.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
yup! that's the one. I can't tell if the bottom of the pipe is stamped "66 L" or "1 99" but yes essentially its an XL 55 and it is just wonderful. Let's just say I've since bought a week-long set from Marco. What a gentleman, such a joy to deal with.
Good to know. I love the 55 shape and always wished Castello would make a KKKKKKKKKK version. Maybe they made a G once, IDK. Cool pipe. I just reached out to Marco about a commission pipe as well, and you are correct, he seems quite the gentlemen so far.

Jun 23, 2019
@didimauw -
Ask and thou shall receive!
Sadly just a dirty snap with my phone on my break for now though.
LQyMwCXl.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
@alaskanpiper - It's an easy read and a fun adventure like most his work. I just read Marco Pierre White's semi-autobiography which I found to be a very good read.
And here's a pic of it next to the 55 so you have an idea of size.
ne9uMCFl.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
@alaskanpiper - no just a KK, I was looking for something small and quick for the portable bag. I also got a Chubby Canadian as well for a very reasonable price. But I gotta say, these newer Castellos can't really compare in terms on worksmenship and attention to details.

Jun 23, 2019
@alaskanpiper - Both unfortunately. I got a killer deal for two shapes I've been dying to try (the 55 and the Chubby Canadian) but sheesh, I might start a thread to compare and contrast it against my older Lovats/Canadians etc. from the painting, the way the strip is finished and stamped.

Status
Not open for further replies.