Pending Move To Colorado. What Am In For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
My wife is very likely being promoted to senior HR Trainer at her company's home office. That means a very abrupt move to Colorado, specifically the Denver/Boulder/Niwot area.

The fact that this promotion means our combined income will fall into the $90,000+ per year range, means I don't really have a case to argue when it comes to staying in Kentucky.

The short time we have spent out there last year revealed that tobacco was a bit higher that Ky, average $14-$17 per tin instead of Ky's $12-$13. I saw quite a few cigar shops around, and stopped by Tewksberry & Co while there, so although there is a public smoking ban (much like Louisville Ky) tobacco seems to still be thriving more than in Louisville it seems) despite the legalization of the wacky tobaccy (which just isn't my cup of tea, all things considered.

I suppose I'm also going to has to sell all my 30 round AK magpulls for the CO state legislated 15rd magazine limit. :roll:

Anything else I should be prepared for in terms of pipe smoking and firearm ownership?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In most American cities, it's cheaper to get marijuana than tobacco. 1/8 goes a lot farther than the $20 tins.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
What ever became of the 4 finger lid of Mexican dirt weed for $15.00? Of course that was 45 years ago... :wink:

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
In addition to high altitude, it is very dry. This is good for drying out a bit for immediate use but opened tins need to be jarred within a day or so. Pipes dry out quick too!

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
The fact that this promotion means our combined income will fall into the $90,000+ per year range, means I don't really have a case to argue when it comes to staying in Kentucky.
I don't know how much of an increase that is for you, and wouldn't dare to presume about your life decisions ...
That being said, I think it would take a lot more than that for me to ever consider leaving Kentucky. I intend to die here. Money be damned...
As far as the 30 round mags go ...
I AM NOT A LAWYER OR A POLICE OFFICER ... but the way I understand it the law bans "Sale or transfer" of large magazines in the state of colorado, meaning anyone who owned them gets to keep the ones they had but just can't buy more. I think you would be OK there ... but please, PLEASE consult an expert on that.
OR ... just stay here in the glorious Commonwealth of Kentucky where the state government not only says you can have as large a magazine as you want, but also specifically passed legislation stating that any new firearm laws passed by the federal government would not be recognized or enforced within our state borders. God bless the Bluegrass. :)

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
As far as the firearms go I'd make sure to check with someone who has some legal authority. This is a great forum and as a lot of very knowledgeable members, but when you're dealing with something that could put you on the wrong side of the law you better make sure. That being said my experience with Colorado is that they are very accepting of firearms, there is amazing hunting and some really good fishing.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Welcome to my backyard!
Yes, pipe tobacco smokes differently at higher elevation - dryer air & less O2 for combustion. Hard to describe the difference, though many of my most memorable smokes have been outside during a quiet, heavy snowfall. (Yes, this is "snow country" - get a 4WD or all-wheel-drive & good snow tires for next Winter)

You cannot smoke in most bars or restaurants, but smoking in public (except Denver Parrks), is OK. Certain cigar bars & most tobacco shops are exempted from smoking restrictions.

Yes, this is a desert for pipe tobacco shops - I know of only 3 tobacconists (Tewksberry, The Tobacco Leaf, & Edward's Pipe Shop); there may be a few others. I buy from them & online; I like to support the brick-&-mortar establishments.
The local pipe club, The League Pipe Club (http://www.theleaguepipeclub.com), may or may not be active; I have not attended any meetings, & have not received any recent announcements for meetings.
Take time to acclimatize - about 4-6 weeks. Daily graduated exercise facilitates the acclimatization. At first avoid alcohol until you acclimatize - it is more potent & affects your quality of sleep.
Regarding firearm magazines, please refer to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Colorado.

If you have proof of ownership of regular capacity (misnamed "high capacity") 30 round magazines prior to July 2013, you may keep them (Magpul had a promotion for CO residents just before the regulation, so many of us stocked up on 30 round magazines).

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Oh Yes.. I lived in a small town in Southern Colorado, Alamosa, for 5 years in the late 60's. That's when Colorado was the real Colorado. Real cowboys with their rodeo belt buckles and cattle drives. Texans coming up for the summer and trying to take over. Minus 40F in the winter so we had to plug our cars in or they would freeze.
Weed was $10.00 a lid (ounce) from Mexico.
Ah yes, the good ol' days.
Rich

4noggins.com

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
When we were out there for a couple days last year, the food seemed very bland, but I'm assuming that's on account of the elevation, hopefully that will work out after being there a bit.

We did visit a dispensary (as gawking tourists do) and you know..."when in Rome" it was the first time I had tried the green leaf, wasn't bad, kind of novel, but not something I'd think I'd be doing do very often. The scenery was incredible after you reached the middle part of the state. Not looking forward to the snow, but my Jeep should love it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Make sure you have a 4X4 vehicle before next winter if you don't already. Be prepared for the hassle of having to get you beer wine and liquor at state run stores. Maybe not a big deal for most....was for me =)
We were in Denver for a few days for our son's graduation last December. We had planned to buy him a car on Sunday and leave for home on Wednesday. Turned out you can not buy a car on Sunday anywhere in Colorado. It's against the law.That dimmed my view of the state a bit.
If you have a choice of areas, I thought Boulder was a much more livable place than Denver. Denver is very spread out and public transportation inconvenient. You do need a car if you want to go anywhere. I didn't notice much in the way of city planing and zoning consistency in the greater Denver area. Quite a mishmash of old, rundown and new all on the same block sometimes.
I brought my own tobacco with me so I didn't have to hunt down a B&M. I'm told there are some good places to go.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
@jackswilling when did it change back? I know there has been an ongoing battle to repeal the law, but according to the Colorado.gov site and a lot of firearm forums anything over 15 rounds is still illegal as of 2013. Although those same forums say it's largely ignored by law inforcement and gun owners. Only one guy has been charged, and it was in conjunction with his plans to shoot up & burn down public buildings.
I didn't know about the state run liquor stores (how does that work exactly?). But my wife's company also owns their own line of liquor stores, we get a %20 discount on all alcohol there, so procurement and purchase probably won't be an issue unless they handle it differently in CO.

Status
Not open for further replies.