PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ordered a Pellet stove a Month or so ago, for that "added" heat this coming Winter. In the meantime, the inside of my Flu collapsed, so I called the Pellet Stove Company up and told them I needed heat NOW and to update my installation for the next day rather than 2 weeks, as scheduled.

They showed up the next day and 1.5 hours later the stove was installed and fired up. I was quite disappointed with it's performance until I figured out that one can't run it on Low and expect to heat the whole house during -4 - -10 degree temperatures. I turned the feed rate down on it and run it on Med. and it is simply a beautiful thing. Bag of pellets lasts 30 or more hours, stove turns on and off by itself according to the thermostat. It is quite a pricey little thing, but I think money well spent.
After experimenting with half a dozen different brands of pellets, we settled on what we liked best. Hats off to Country Stoves and Sunrooms in Annapolis Valley for their GREAT Customer Service, moving me up their installation list at this busy time of year.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I installed a Harmon pellet furnace about 9 years ago. Terrific heater, and fairly cost effective. I buy my pellets in summer, and store 9 ton in the cellar. I also use a wood stove in fall and spring, when it's not that cold, to save $. I've always cut wood from my property, but now I only need about one chord a year to supplement my furnace.
A huge benefit is keeping US dollars in North America.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Just ordered a zero clearance fireplace to replace the propane one that came with the house. Sure am looking forward to saving some money and giving me an excuse to use the chainsaws and splitting axes a little more.
Besides, it should save a ton of money.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have a 100,000 BTU Corn/Pellet furnace in my home. Bought it after my back told me it was time to quit cutting wood. 14 bushel hopper last for days and it heats my 2 story 100+ year old farmhouse.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I own a Quadra-Fire pellet stove. It works just fine and will heat my 3,000+ sf house, no problem. It has been sitting idle the last two winters. Pellets cost $200-$220 a ton (50 bags) and I use 1 bag a day. Natural gas is so cheap in my neck of the woods, it is more cost effective to use my gas furnace. If natural gas goes up, I will run the pellet stove again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Two of my friends have them and love them. One heats his whole house with the stove. He buys pellets a small barnful at a time!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Up here in Maine pellet stoves are pretty popular and cost effective. We burn wood at the rate of 6 to 7 cords per year. Pellet costs are the same as wood but as everyone knows the pellets are a lot less work. I an considering getting a Harmon Pellet stove but the cost and payback are pretty considerable. It's just that loading 6 cords of wood into the cellar one wheelbarrow at a time is finally taking its toll on me. What I hear about pellet stoves is all positive, but incase of a power failure you need a battery backup.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
@duckfat, I use either shelled corn or pellets dependent on how price is. I will pay a bit more for corn as I get a lot more BTU's per pound out of corn and it is a lot less mess.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I live in a small house heat is gas so is cooking and hot water, love it. :D

It was 62 here today in Delaware USA :D

Status
Not open for further replies.