PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glmpdv

Lurker
Jun 28, 2014
Hello,
First of all, please excuse my english level.

So, I've recently acquired a very nice pipe, but after a few uses (two or three) it seems like the external coating is peeling off.

Since I'm a beginner, I'd like to know how can I avoid this, and how can I fix this, because now it's kinda weird looking, and I just can't stop looking to this everytime I think about using it again.

How can I fix this? What can I use to restore it's original surface coat? (if there's something possible)
DSC_5775.jpg

DSC_5776.jpg

DSC_5778.jpg

DSC_5782.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Guilherme Padovani

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Unfortunately, it appears that your pipe was poorly finished. The only way to fix it is to strip the lacquer or whatever it is off and refinish the pipe properly. Wish there was an easier way.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree with Wayne. Also,it appears that that pipe is not made of briar. What brand is it and what is it made of?

glmpdv

Lurker
Jun 28, 2014
It's not a 'serious' pipe. It's a functional Gandalf's replica from Noble Collection.

I'm not even sure what it is made of... But I really like it. Gives me a smooth smoking pleasure.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
If it were me, I would just sand the finish off and leave it. It should color slightly with use... No?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd sand it down a bit, and enjoy it as a smoker, and don't worry about its looks. There are some good

smoking pipes that don't cost much, if you would be interested in those. My recommendations, off hand,

would be Savenelli unfinished pipe, Iwan Ries Exclusives, and corn cob pipes by Missouri Meerschaum and

Old Dominion. Welcome to Forums.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I'd want to know what the wood your pipe is made from. I remember Ranier Barbi posting elsewhere, years ago, about various woods to be avoided in smoking pipes.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It looks like pear wood to me, but maybe some of our carvers and/or wood workers could weigh in. I think pear wood

is not a problem but not as durable as briar.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I thought it looked like pear also but it's really hard to tell for sure and I'm far from an expert at identifying woods. There are woods that are toxic that you don't want to smoke out of but, if this is even a semi reputable pipe company it shouldn't be an issue.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've seen some of the pipes from the Noble Collection and they're replicas; prop pipes. Though they're functional in that it's possible to smoke from them, they're not exactly "real pipes".

glmpdv

Lurker
Jun 28, 2014
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm going to get a Savinelli Broomhilda soon, and leave this pipe alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.