PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I have long been an admirer or Smio Satou's pipes and when this one came around I just had to go for it, even though I don't really consider myself a Churchwarden guy, let alone an eleven knuckle bamboo guy,
But it was all just too awesome to pass up.
5Fdnps7.jpg

TVaWPOw.jpg

KLjLByr.jpg

qSePlvE.jpg

6NYpo1d.jpg

wRTpx8r.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
peck, you definitely did the right thing here. It's a superb example of the Japanese pipe making art, really representative of the culture and best craftsmanship. This is a sitting down smoke; you can rest your elbow on the arm of the chair and puff effortlessly, mindfully.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You're going to need arm extensions to smoke that thing!
Or, better yet, you could have a legion of buxom young women alternate between holding your pipe while you smoke (ahem), and fanning you with palm fronds while pouring you wine and preparing you bacon sandwiches...
Regardless, nice pipe, although long. Really, really, really, quite long.
-- Pat

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Peck, that is some pipe. If Tolkien had seen one like that I'll bet the Hobbits & Wizards would have all had one! Great grain.

Dec 24, 2012
To be truthful, Satou doesn't make many pipes and he is getting up there in age, and when I saw this one, I just felt that it was so representative of the Japanese aesthetic that I had to buy it or I would have forever regretted not doing so. Thanks for the kind comments.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Epic it surely is.
Bamboo question: Is there some type of liner down thru the centre of the bamboo that helps keep the stem curve and to facilitate running a pipe cleaner through the srem?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, another great score. Love the grain, birdseye and the shape. I bet you had to be quick on the trigger to score both of those Satou pipes. Congrats buddy, hell of a good day of PAD.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Peck-

Great Score! :clap:

Where in the hell are you gonna find pipe cleaners long enough to clean it?

Seriously though, that's one elegant pipe, congrats!!

Jan 8, 2013
I freaking hate bamboo on a pipe.... but that is so insanely awesome oh my god where did you get it I just drooled a little and maybe even messed my pants a little bit I have to have one just like it.
:D
Did I really just say all that? Awkward.

Dec 24, 2012
Bamboo question: Is there some type of liner down thru the centre of the bamboo that helps keep the stem curve and to facilitate running a pipe cleaner through the srem?
Great question. Satou's technique is summed up here:
It is perhaps Satou's finishing work and mechanics that truly set him apart from other pipe makers. Mechanically, his pipes are flawless and his pipe engineering is among the finest, if not the finest, in the world. Pages could be filled describing every technique Satou uses to ensure perfect mechanics, finish and durability in his pipes, but a couple of examples should illustrate the point:
Satou frequently uses long thin pieces of bamboo on his pipes. Though many makers from all over the world use bamboo, it could be argued than none have the facility with the material that Satou has. By using metal tenons and sheathing the inside of the bamboo in nylon, Satou is able to use far thinner pieces than most pipe makers would consider using. Not only are the pieces thinner, but the sheathing process also allows bamboo shank extensions to be far stronger and far longer than those found on most any other pipes. In addition to this, Satou does not settle for gluing his tenon into the stem (provided they are not from the same piece). Rather, he fixes the tenon in place with a metal pin that extends from the surface of the stem, down into the tenon.
Satou is also known for his unusual finishing techniques. Most high quality pipe makers use carnuba wax, the resin from a particular kind of South American nut. Carnuba has significant advantages: it protects the pipe, gives it a lustrous finish and is breathable. Of course, it is the last advantage that makes it better than a varnish or plastic based lacquer that is often found on less expensive pipes. Satou does something completely different. For centuries, Japan has been home to some of the finest high-quality furniture in the world. Much of this furniture receives a special wood resin as its final coating after staining. Satou experimented with this special coating and discovered that it allowed heat and gas exchange as well (or better) than carnuba, but is a far more durable finish than the wax. According to Satou, the pipe will never need to be waxed. Additionally, the pipe achieves a more lustrous patina than does a pipe coated with carnuba. I can personally attest to the fact that the coating does exactly what Satou claims it does: the smoking is not effected, the finish is better maintained over time and it doesn't need to be rewaxed. As to the exact compound he uses, well, he is not overly willing to share that information.
You can read about Satou here: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/satou/history.cfm

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Absolute art. I can see why you couldn't resist. You have a knack for coming up with the most interesting pieces. It's not just the stem but the bowl is incredible. You do have a great eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.