PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
A few years ago, we bought a place in the country.
What I loved about the property is that it came with a timberframe barn, and the wife gave me permission to turn that into my own "Man Cave" (her words, not mine, lest I offend the anti-hipsters).
Since the barn has 1800 feet on each of 2 levels, this means I had 3600 square feet to work with.
It tooks me 2 years to renovate the barn, and I thought I would share some pics with you.
I have a lot of pics and will therefore start with just the main lower level of the Barn and then, if there's any interest, I can show more pics of my office as well as the upstairs lounge area.
This is the barn:
rp0Djuj.jpg

As you come in the side door, here is what you see. This is essentially a garage, though I rarely park cars here. I do, however keep some tools.
sENobNg.jpg

At the back of this shot you will see a shop bench that also holds my coffee maker and microwave. The red door to the left of the shop bench leads to the upstairs lounge.
To the left, where the cabinets start is the area where I do a fair amount of pipe smoking.
Here is a better shot of the area with the cabinets. In the distannce, through the pocket doors, is my office.
Hvh3vvt.jpg

Here is where I often sit while I smoke a bowl, with my cellar behind me.
0oHBkcg.jpg

The view sitting in my favourite chair:
R5Z1Iox.jpg

Across the way you will see another work bench. See all those stacked black boxes? I use those boxes to store my better pipes in.
pxGeKzA.jpg

This shot is also from sitting in the chair, looking back to the side door entrance. I have my fridge there. Also, if you look to the left of the big coach door you will see an old pay telephone I had installed on the wall. To the lower right you will also see an air purifier, against the pillar. Pardon the clutter, but this is a barn!
9CBoG2X.jpg

The remaining rooms are my office on the lower level at the back, and then the upstairs lounge.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Unacquainted with Canadian taxes I will ask an impertinent question,"Is there a write off for the office space?" Please feel free to ignore the question, it is only curiosity.
Gorgeous it is. Is there a "No Gurls" sign on the door or is the wife admitted on special occasions? Too many questions! Just go with the gorgeous comment. Looks well planned and well executed. Good on you!

Dec 24, 2012
Warren, I looked forever to find a door to the upstairs that had a working speakeasy hole and cage, but I finally found one. Women are allowed on special occasions.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
CLASS, I love good Furniture, that sofa is something, the rest of the Barn ain't nothing to sneeze at. Dean its outstanding and I believe you've worked hard at your profession and deserve everything you have gotten, I"m smiling for you Buddy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OH, Hell, yeah! That's a place and a half. Well done. I guess the rack and pipes near it are all your crap pipes since the good ones are all boxed up? I am afraid my good pipes wouldn't all make your secondary pile! Admiringly,
John

Dec 24, 2012
OK, now the upstairs. As you come up the stairs, to the right is the bar/kitchen, and beside that the bathroom. Here are some shots of the bar.
eXVOyWA.jpg

qbNxAda.jpg

zDupzKP.jpg

azSUdzW.jpg

EsXhzCu.jpg

8WMRfGy.jpg

My tap:
4TsvJUW.jpg

Looking out from the bar:
w9LBjJ1.jpg

vkHlF6C.jpg

Looking from where the movie screen is, back to the bar:
qa50qem.jpg

More shots of the lounge:
bMK9R1O.jpg

nO3hcBR.jpg

jYuMaX2.jpg

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Ha Dean! Thank god that there is an ocean between us! Otherwise I would loiter around your man cave trying to slip in for a smoke every weekend. 8O :lol: :wink:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Good on ya, ol' bean! Keep the Mrs out lest she insist you carpet the heck out of every square meter. Hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Wow! Your place is beautiful! It reminiscent of my own home, because we use those exact same yellow Solo cups sometimes!

Status
Not open for further replies.