PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
The weather here today was delightful. I recently had a pool built in the backyard and the entire family were in their trunks the entire holiday Monday. I had a few calls today, and had to respond to a few e-mails, but in large measure it was a pretty relaxing day.
I just got out of the pool and felt something in the pocket of my trunks. Yep, it was my iPhone 5S. I had been swimming with it in my trunks for 2 hours.
I am not too sad, since I hated the bloody thing. I am on the wait list for a blackberry passport. I love most things Apple but hated the iPhone. Still, I was going to give it to my wife when I changed back to the Blackberry since she currently has an iPhone 4. I don't think that is going to happen. The wife just put the iPhone in a bag of dry rice because she read somewhere that that would help. I don't think it will help.
I am Peckinahhombre and I am a moron.
Peck

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Been there, done that.

Our pool has claimed a few phones, wallets, and at least one laptop that I can recall. I suppose that makes me a moron too, and you'll get no argument from my wife. :lol:

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Yea, my son dropped his in the toilet and did not realize it until the next day!! I called him worse than a "moron"!!! I was not happy but had to realize we all make mistakes. :roll:

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
My son dropped his into a urinal in a public restroom. While he was talking on it. And no, the urinal had not yet been flushed. To his credit, he fished it out of there. I probably would have walked away and left it. Happens every day to somebody somewhere Peck. Don't beat yourself up man.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The last cell phone I kissed goodbye fell out of my pocket while I was raking leaves, and though I looked for it

for quite a while, it presumably was sucked up by the city off the curb among mountains of leaves. Just

be glad it wasn't a good pipe. Now that is a tragedy.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
What do you call a busload of "iPhones" the bottom of a lake?
A good start. ;-)
I have a Nokia Lumia 521, I dropped it in the tub accidentally while giving my kids a bath, I quickly pulled it out and took the battery out and let it dry for 2 days. Still works fine with no issues. Doubt I could say that after a two hour swim.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have a cell phone that receives and can make calls... period. Replacement cost about $29. After all, it’s a phone and that is all a phone is meant for. I sometimes wonder how you younger people would survive a mere 20 years ago. It has become nothing more than a society of zombies, children and adults alike, with their heads bent down while looking down at their precious smart phones and completely oblivious to their surroundings and the people around them. Damn, that felt good and rant over... :wink:

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
LOL Peck - hope it dries out OK. You may have married your wife because she's smart a among other things, I'm sure. The question is - what did she marry you?! Answers on a postcard please to...
Andy

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think it's because as a kid, my mom used to be talking to friends on the phone and I couldn't get her attention. I began to view the phone in a very negative light. We had 3 numbers and a letter in our 'phone number'. I can still remember it.
Yea, my son dropped his in the toilet and did not realize it until the next day!!

One of the best graffiti's I ever saw in a port 'o lette: 'plop plop, fizz, fizz, I wonder where my wallet is'..and if it was in that port'o lette, you didn't even think about getting in there after it. Pheew.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
When my Dallas Stars (hockey team) won the Stanley Cup way back in 99, it was in the third overtime, which means they basically played two games in a row. Everyone was just wanting the damn thing to end. I was in old buddy Tim's living room. He looked at me and poured his beer on my head, right there on the carpet. I poured mine on his, then he ran to the kitchen and got two more beers we poured on each other.
He said, we should be using champagne! so we poured that on each other. Then we jumped into the pool fully clothed. Killed my beeper. Cell phones were beepers in those days. Totally worth it. Sorry, Buffalo.
PS And we didn't cheat; the refs screwed up.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I still own a Blackberry from 2007 with the old roller ball. If it had made a rotary dial model I would be even happier. My wife and I purchased two of these phones before we got engaged. We then went out to the St. Regis Hotel and consumed a bucket load of Martini's and for some unknown reason when we got home I put my phone in the freezer under a pack of peas before retiring for the night. The next day I couldn't find my phone so I went off out and purchased another Blackberry. About six months later our housekeeper found the said Blackberry frozen onto the underside of the packet of peas. Once removed from its ice tomb and defrosted and left in the sun it worked just fine. Peck your not an idiot. Your just slightly accident impaired.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
LOL Peck - hope it dries out OK. You may have married your wife because she's smart a among other things, I'm sure. The question is - what did she marry you?! Answers on a postcard please to...
Unfortunately, Andy beat me to it
[/quote]After all, it’s a phone and that is all a phone is meant for. I sometimes wonder how you younger people would survive a mere 20 years ago. It has become nothing more than a society of zombies, children and adults alike, with their heads bent down while looking down at their precious smart phones and completely oblivious to their surroundings and the people around them. Damn, that felt good and rant over...
Phil
They used to say that about indoor plumbing
Oh wait, you probably remember that...LOL

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sometimes I miss my Blackberry. My Android (Motorola) has a slider keyboard but those thing are now relics of the past. My phone seems to be failing, so a touch keyboard of a Samsung S5 seems to be in my future.
Peck: The rice won't work, been there and done that a few times. The last time, my wife and kids swapped the jar of rice I had on our table for a same jar of very wet rice that they swapped overnight (less the phone). We got up the next morning and they said "wow Dad, that rice really absorbed a lot of water"....they had me for a minute or two. I was phone shopping later that day...

Status
Not open for further replies.