PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I know we've had plenty of threads on Scotch Whisky, but I do have a specific question for the resident connoisseurs. My dad and I both enjoy peated single malts, and lately my mom and I have been buying him a bottle for birthdays and Christmas. His favorites have always been Lagavulin 16yr and Talisker 10yr. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for another one to try. The only others we've experimented with are Laphroiag 10yr, which I love but he (for some reason) doesn't care for, and Ardbeg, which surprisingly floundered in the "smokey" department for both of us.

Bonus question-we also like Balvenie, so suggestions along those lines are welcome too.

Aug 1, 2012
Caol Ila 12 is a Scottish whisky that I found to be a bit peat-heavy but still very nice. One to look at.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I bought a bottle of Connemara Irish Whiskey a while back. Very different from the norm of that genre. Very smokey and a definite peat aroma to it. Definitely worth a try.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Your dad has sophisticated taste young Erich, and after a bottle and a half of wine its lucky I'm on the port (18% alcohol) rather than malt (40%, or higher if it's 'cask strength')!!
The Ardbeg is a unique Islay malt with an oily taste which is very much an acquired one. A few years ago another company bought out the distillery in order to close it down. In Scotland, where I have lived for 40 years, there was a national outcry - double page articles in the newsppers etc. IMHO Lagavulin is the king of the Island (peaty) Malts, with Laphroig a close second. Talisker (the only malt from the Isle of Skye) is also very peaty, so your dad might might wish to rest on his peaty laurels!
Alternatively he may wish to try Bunnahabvhain, a smoother but less peaty Islay malt, Bruichladdich or Caol Ila -all wonderful drams. Tell him to add a drop of water (c. 5%) - I promise you that is what real Scots (those who wear nothing under their kilts!) do lol!!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'll remember Bowmore and Caol Ila, the names are familiar, but I've not tried them. And a peated Irish??? It would not go over well with either parent, as my dad dislikes Irish whisky and my mother, who loves it, can't stand peat. I, on the other hand, really enjoy both and see the potential for a new favorite... Thanks, I will definitely look into that!

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
There is not many other Islay names to try other than maybe Bruichladdich as there is only 8 I believe on the island. Oban might be a good choice. It's not Islay but very unique smoky taste.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Flaky-you may end up being right, I'm not sure he'll give real approval to something that wasn't his idea anyway! But it's fun to try. The Lagavulin, Talisker and Laphroiag are my favorite so far, so I can definitely agree with the assessment.

I seem to remember him mentioning Oban, but I have yet to try it.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Erich, IMO "Black Bush" (from Bushmils) is the king of Irish Malts, but not very peaty.
PS IMO your dad should not be tempted to pay $$$ for very old Islabd malts; 16yr old Lagavulin is about as far as I would go. IMHO they don't improve greatly with age beyond that.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Oh I wouldn't discount it, I've actually really been enjoying Irishes lately, and a peated one is definitely intriguing. It's something I will definitely try for myself sometime, but probably not a whisky my father would be interested in. But then I could be wrong.

Aug 1, 2012
Another one is Cadenhead's house Islay. It's pretty smoky/peaty but I don't know what distillery they get it from.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I would vote for Caol Ila 12 or Oban 14. Though the lagavullin is a hard dram to beat if he already likes it.

B

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'll second the Oban.

Bunnahabin is a lovely malt, but not heavily peated (although it is an Islay malt). Hard to find in the States, though.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Erich - it's 02.30 here in a cold and blustery Scotland. My son has just staggered in, having celebrated his new job, and woken the household! I am wide awake now, and thought you might be amused to hear of my malt whisky odyssey.
I don't drink much malt now because once 'the seal is broken' it doesn't last long in my house - it is dangerously seductive! So now I am mostly a wine man, but I used to drink a lot of that nectar.
But it has never been cheap. My odyssey began with my first pay packet as an intern at Edinburgh's Royal Infirmary. My friend Pete Grant (from Grantown-on-Spey lol!) and I decided that each ^cremation form" fee - ten guineas, then the same price of a good bottle of malt - we received would be spent on a bottle. I worked in an academic unit with a policy of routinely carrying out necropsies (where the pathologist got the crem fee - "Ash Cash"!!) and only got three in a year. Pete worked in a geriatric ward where there was no such policy and patients seemed to be dying like flies - he got over a hundred! He ended up getting a bottle of malt from every distillery then in operation, and started over again LOL!! He had to build a false ceiling in his apartment to accommodate them all, and on nights off duty his wife would test us out in 'blind tastings' Pretty soon I could distinguish the peaty West Coast and Island malts from the smooth Speysides. Getting any further was difficult but eventually I could pick out (and still can); The Macallan because it is 'darker in the glass than it tastes' on account of its routine ageing in old sherry casks; Lagavulin because it has a salty/briny note in addition to the heavy peat; Talisker because it has a 'medicinal' note in addition to heavy peat: the majestic Springbank on account of its heathery, flowery note: and Highland Park because of its unique marriage of east and west, smooth as the smoothest Speyside but with a perfectly judged hint of peat. And if anyone ever offers you a glass of malt they say is Islay, but you don't taste much peat, it is Bunnahabhain every time. Why this is the case I don't know. That's as far as my blind-tasting skills go!
My next anecdote concerns Pete getting a job as a family Practitioner in Grantown-on-Spey, the 'capital' of Speyside. His patients used to bring him gifts of salmon caught on the fly and, of course, malt whisky. There are dozens of distilleries in Speyside and one year the owner of one (which I will not name) who, for reasons you might guess, had become teetotal lol gave him a whole case. Pete, God bless the man, gave me two bottles, the labels on which said simply "The Manager's Dram". It is NEVER sold. It turned out that each year the managers of all the Scottish distilleries have a competition to vote blindly on the best malt available. That year I was told by mouth that it was "Oban"! I don't know how old it was or what type of cask it had been aged in but it was the best malt I have ever tasted!! BTW Pete wears nothing under his kilt and adds c. 10% room temp water to his dram!!!!
The last bit of my odyssey concerns "Malt Whisky Society" based in Edinburgh, of which I am still a member. I believe they now accept foreign members, so your dad might be interested? The Society is remarkable in that they used to buy their own casks and age different malts in them. The distilleries agreed to this, but only on condition that their malts were not named, rather they were given numbers, and were sold only to members. All were sold unadulterated (you'd be surprised how many retailed malts are artificially coloured!) at cask strength (high octane, and anyone not adding 20% water would have been considered deranged). So you see that it is possible to become as obsessed with malts as it is with pipes/tobaccos LOL! My most memorable experience of the MWS is when they offered "Number One, 32 Year-Old" (aka Glenfarclas - a Speyside) - exactly the same malt but from two different casks. One was an ex-bourbon cask, the other an ex-sherry cask. The difference was remarkable; the one from the bourbon cask looked like water - crystal clear - and tasted beautifully smooth with a sweet honey note (probably from the sugars coating the inside of the bourbon cask when they burn it out before pouring in the malt); the one from the sherry cask resembled over-stewed tea and tasted of Christmas Pudding!! Both were exquisite malts and I took a long time deciding that I couldn't decide which I liked better LOL!!
Anyway, enough of my odyssey for now, but if you want to watch a highly amusing movie based on malt whisky, I can highly recommend "The Angel's Share" (ie the volume that is lost in cask as a malt ages)

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Yep, latbomber - a top Islay malt alright. Would recommend it to anyone looking for peat!
BTW a colleague is planning a "work" expedition to Islay. We'll do a couple of seminars and visit all seven (as I remember) distilleries!

Status
Not open for further replies.